Laptop or desktop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laptop or desktop?

HKMark23
05-21-2005, 09:09
I have two desktops that are about 3 & 6 years old that I have been up-grading as needed, but Im moving in a few weeks for am 11 month project and trying to downsize.
Im planning on selling or giving away the two that I have now and geting a new system.

I dont have an actual NEED for a laptop, just thought it would be nice to have the portability option and reduction in size. Its main uses are for a few graphics intense programs for my work, photo editing/printing, autocad, and internet.

So my question is:

Should I get another tower or go with a laptop?

What are the pros/cons of each?

BTW-I have my systems built at a local shop because I dont like all the bundled crud that come with all the brand name systems. I run ME on both, use Firefox for net, Adobe for my photo work and run NVIDIA for graphics. I also burn allot of CD's and may start burning DVD's

Jtemple
05-21-2005, 10:17
There's only one question to answer that will make up your mind: Will you ever want to take it anywhere?

If the answer is yes, then get yourself a laptop and the biggest external hard drive you can afford.

HKMark23
05-21-2005, 10:31
As I said,I dont have an actual NEED for a laptop, just thought it would be nice to have the portability option and reduction in size.

UtahIrishman
05-21-2005, 10:40
I have a laptop and love it. 85 to 90% of the time it stays right on my desk, but when I need to take it somewhere I can. The only drawback to me is the screensize, particularly if you are going to use a program like Photoshop. Since you will most likely have an extra monitor if you go to the laptop I would hook up an extra monitor and double your screen space. I do a lot of web work using Dreamweaver, etc. I'll put all my tools on the one screen and the design space on the other.

Get as much ram and as big a hard drive as you can. I recommend Dell. I've had mine for over two years and no problems at all.

Jtemple
05-21-2005, 13:02
Desktops are cheaper, easier to upgrade, and more customizable.

Laptops are portable, don't have as much storage space, and don't take up much space.

I use a laptop at work, because my job requires me to be able to log on anywhere, anytime, and work. At home, I use my desktop.

Laptops are nice, if you aren't worried about upgrading and just plan on replacing the whole unit when it's too slow for your needs.

I re-iterate the need to get yourself an external HD if you get a laptop. You won't regret it. I have two.

Sgt. Schultz
05-21-2005, 13:48
If you do decide to get a laptop be sure to get one with everything that you will need ... now and in the future. Upgrading or replacing parts is much easier and cheaper on a desktop computer than a laptop ... replacing a damaged display can cost more then a new desktop computer.

My company has used Dell, Sony, HP and Toshiba laptops, the Dellís have been the most reliable and trouble free.

DWavs
05-21-2005, 17:45
I recently switched over to a laptop as my primary system. Went with a Dell. It sits on my desk 95% of the time but I have the portability if needed.

The trade off is laptops tend to run hotter...worse case scenerio would be the need for a Cooler Pad so no big deal.

David

HKMark23
05-21-2005, 21:39
Originally posted by Jtemple
I re-iterate the need to get yourself an external HD if you get a laptop. You won't regret it. I have two.

No need.....if I cant stuff what I need onto a 100GB drive then I really need a life! ;f

If I have a laptop built, Im looking at using the following:

P4 560J 3.6GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB Cache
Seagate 100GB ATA100
2GB Dual Channel 533MHz - (2 x 1024MB)
With a 17" SXGA 1680 x 1050 LCD

I should be able to bring that in for less than $2,000

For a few hundred less I can do that in a tower.

gimmejr
05-22-2005, 09:09
Since I last upgraded my desktop I only put in a 36g raptor and have plenty of room every since. If you dont do any kinda movie or video work or dl alot of stuff you dont need a huge external HD. I have a 120 external but I only use it for the occassional back up of small files now.

Jtemple
05-22-2005, 14:09
If you start making DVD images & ripping mp3s to share with friends, you'll fill 100 GB up fast. If you want to use your computer for run-of-the-mill day-to-day stuff, and the occasional game or two, 100GB would suit you just fine.

I have 330GB of external drive space. I save every application I download on an external drive, along with 14,000 mp3s (main copy on one drive, backup on the other) and currently 12 DVD images (which will be removed once I burn copies of them).

I also write software for a living and have several Virtual PC images on my drive for testing purposes. Those eat up some serious storage space.

MikeG22
05-22-2005, 16:12
Don't forget a spare battery with that beast, it'll suck one up super quick. Also, look at the size and weight and then go to a computer shop and see how that size really is. The big screens can be nice, but when you combine that with all the other stuff they get pretty big and bulky and can be a pain to carry around if/when you decide to.

I prefer in a laptop something with a slower, though still perectly fine Pentium M @ like 2ghz. Sips the battery compared to the monster you are talking about. But, if you are doing lots of photoshop and video editing then perhaps that's a better route. Just be ready for the fact that your battery life is gonna suck and it'll be really hot. Also with laptops the hard drives are quite a bit slower than a good desktop drive and are a bit less reliable. Having a external USB 2.0 or firewire 800 drive is a good idea if for nothing else than backups, though data access can be pretty decent on the newer ones. Go with dell for a laptop though regardless.

HKMark23
05-22-2005, 16:42
Originally posted by MikeG22
Also, look at the size and weight and then go to a computer shop and see how that size really is.
If I do go with this set up it WILL be big and heavy (10#'s) Its more of a portable desktop than a laptop ;f

As I said it will probly spend most of its life on a desk, Im just sick of big towers and wouldnt mind have the option if I ever want to go mobile.

As far as battery life goes its not an issue, Im going to be using an internal 1.21 Jigawatt Flux Capacitor.

EAGLESFANPHILA
05-22-2005, 17:29
No doubt. Laptops are taking over. I like the portability, they do everything that a desktop can do, plus they just look awesome. Just like I'm a Glock man, I'm a laptop man. That ain't changing baby!

^1

hangmans joke
05-23-2005, 23:44
ive had 2 laptops in last 3 years, one was warranty replacement. i loved my laptops but... if you use it everday id go with a desktop. there is no laptop that something wont wear out in over a year. btw scre compaq and hp i will never own another.

last week we just got a dell 3 .4 or something ghz flat panel . and i love it/ free printer, free shipping ,free memory upgrade , free hd up grade ,and free upgrade to flat panel . and we still have 100s comparing specs to other companies. dell is the shizzz/

hj

gunsite
05-25-2005, 15:04
i used windows for 15 years or so, i just purchase a mac 17 inch powerbook, 100gb, 2gz of ram...WOW.... i'm ready to throw my windows destop in the garbage. JMO

Toyman
05-26-2005, 06:14
I had a high end laptop for my primary machine for several years. It was nice to have the portability when needed, but the cost of it was a lot.

When it came time for a new machine, I went with the desktop. For the money, you get so much more. I also wanted to run dual displays. Also, the ability to upgrade just isn't there with the laptops. If you do go with the laptop, get the nicest you can afford, because it isn't going to get any better.

For the price of a laptop, you could get a faster PC built in a mini-case and a 21" LCD for less money. That makes it somewhat portable, yet upgradable.

I don't think you would like doing CAD on a laptop.

gunsite
05-26-2005, 06:58
a person needs to evaluate there need before there purchase. i have a desktop so purchasing a powerbook was a advantage. i will be wireless networking my system so i can use my pc scanner and printer with my powerbook. todays laptop are so powerful with the mobility that they became popular...i think there catching up to cell phones..lol seems everyone has one or wants to purchase one. if i were to purchase a desktop, i would go with the apple G-5, if you get a chance stop in a apple store and look into there computers, that what i did and became a mac owner. money always becomes the prime decision when making a purchase, but the rule in computer buying is always buy as much as you can, it will last longer and not be so obsolete in a short period of time..good luck

Washington,D.C.
05-26-2005, 07:10
>

duncan
05-31-2005, 15:27
Originally posted by hangmans joke
btw scre compaq and hp i will never own another.
hj

My Pavilion desktop is not the most reliable thing - HD wen tbad in several months.

Sure it's the vendor's HD licensed and placed in the HP box but I'd like Dell's support or I'll just go buy a local confiured system.

All I know is that if you have every used a laptop in a remote location off of a wireless router, you'll never go back.

I just love taking my Dell laptop out to the street on a sunny day and sitting down in the shade and watching my children play - before I put the laptop away and play with them.

Laptops are great for sitting in the kitchen or living room to have access to the Net and get some work down without feeling like you're at work like ona desktop.

As a lawyer, I only need it for some Word/Excel docs and the Net. So laptop works for me best.

duncan
05-31-2005, 15:30
Originally posted by gunsite
a person needs to evaluate there need before there purchase. i have a desktop so purchasing a powerbook was a advantage. i will be wireless networking my system so i can use my pc scanner and printer with my powerbook. todays laptop are so powerful with the mobility that they became popular...i think there catching up to cell phones..lol seems everyone has one or wants to purchase one. if i were to purchase a desktop, i would go with the apple G-5, if you get a chance stop in a apple store and look into there computers, that what i did and became a mac owner. money always becomes the prime decision when making a purchase, but the rule in computer buying is always buy as much as you can, it will last longer and not be so obsolete in a short period of time..good luck

And since Apple does hardware and software, less problems and conflicts.

And less 15 year old punks to write malicious code to attack your Mac OS.

I'm thinking Apple too nowadays. Hada Mac Plus many years ago and the thing was bulletproof.