direction of airflow of processor fan [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : direction of airflow of processor fan

David_G17
05-21-2005, 14:00
is the CPU fan supposed to blow air onto the heatsink or pull air away from the heat sink?

or does it vary with manufacturer?

pyblood
05-21-2005, 14:11
Every CPU fan that I have ever seen blow air onto the heatsink.

David_G17
05-21-2005, 15:10
thanks.:)

NRA_guy
05-23-2005, 21:39
I imagine that most would blow towards the heatsink.

That eliminates any concern about physical orientation.

Otherwise, because heat rises, it would make a slight diference which direction was up.

PS: Ever try to suck out a candle flame? It's hard to do and you would have to be really close to the flame, but you can easily blow out a candle from some distance away. Same difference between a vacuum cleaner and a leaf blower. The velocity created by sucking (or, air intake) is a very localized effect. It's a fluid mechanics thing.

fastvfr
05-23-2005, 22:32
I use this CPU cooler in my gaming rig:
http://www.pcekspert.com/jpg/articles/zalman_7700/zalman7700cu-main2.jpg

It blows air down through the fins which results in it actually cooling the entire motherboard and all its components with the flowthrough from its open design. It really can't plug up with dust, either.

This 120mm fan really moves some air. BTW, this is the Zalman CNPS 7700Cu, which weighs in at just over 900 GRAMS of solid copper!

Not for the faint of heart or the flimsy MOBO's!!

David_G17
05-24-2005, 07:21
Originally posted by fastvfr
I use this CPU cooler in my gaming rig:
http://www.pcekspert.com/jpg/articles/zalman_7700/zalman7700cu-main2.jpg

It blows air down through the fins which results in it actually cooling the entire motherboard and all its components with the flowthrough from its open design. It really can't plug up with dust, either.

This 120mm fan really moves some air. BTW, this is the Zalman CNPS 7700Cu, which weighs in at just over 900 GRAMS of solid copper!

Not for the faint of heart or the flimsy MOBO's!!

weird; i've been looking at that exact fan/hs on newegg for a while.