Rear-end handed to me [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rear-end handed to me

BlackBelt
05-24-2005, 07:02
Once again, I got my butt handed to me on a platter.
Attended a meeting of local BJJ instructors. We rolled a bit. I'm by far physically the smallest guy in attendence. Every now and then I get the point reinforced to me that all other things being equal, the larger guy can still take out the smaller guy. I've got technique, experience, and fitness...but guys with those same qualities that are 60 + lbs. larger were working me over pretty good. At least they were all huffing and puffing after the matches, and most were rubbing their sore necks!
Dang this 'Barney Fife' body!

bluemeanie
05-24-2005, 10:46
Well, as a big guy who hasn't learned much in the way of technique yet, I'm sort of stoked by that.:)

At least, I can tell you that when I last sparred (last week) I walked away well-humbled and a little unsteady. Some folks considerably smaller than me landed good shots.

fastvfr
05-25-2005, 09:52
http://bigpimpinmba.diaryland.com/images/nelson.jpg

Seriously, though, at least you werre making them pay for it!

robwebbg22
06-16-2005, 13:22
Weights whey protein glutomine creatine! Get strong an bulk up!!!

betyourlife
06-18-2005, 20:27
That's funny. I have wiped the floor with guys taller and hevaier as well as more muscular than me. It is all in technique unless you are fighting a BEAR...

Learn something besides an art and you'll see.

robwebbg22
06-18-2005, 21:16
I am a 2nd degree black belt, 8 years army 20th group an right now i go about 6 6 280. If you are a small guy under 160 lbs or so you probally need to bulk up an get in the weight room an get stronger.

BlackBelt
06-19-2005, 07:58
Yeah, these were BJJ 'instructors'...and most have trained in the Gracie camp for years, and all are certified by the Gracie clan. The reason I got my ass kicked was because we were strictly doing BJJ. I teach BJJ, but not exclusively. I also teach shotokan, JKD concepts, and MMA. If I had only studied BJJ for the past 12 years, and trained in it everyday like these instructors have, it probably would have been a different story. Or if we had fought a MMA type of fight, I know it would have been a different outcome. But it was BJJ only. It was just a seminar.
My real nemisis in this situation was my size. Yes, technique will carry you in certain situations. But if the your opponent has an equal or greater amount of technique and experience, and there are rules (remember this wasn't a streetfight--it was a seminar), the larger of the 2 individuals has a definite advantage.
On the plus side, I did learn where I needed to work more on some technique. That's the advantage of losing in training.

robwebbg22
06-19-2005, 10:02
I had a buddy that wrestled at oklahoma university an we trained together for a year or so. I picked up a little here an there from as many people as I can. And having somebody get the better of you in a certain disciple tends to piss you off a little an makes you work harder.