I think I just screwed up my career.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I think I just screwed up my career....

jame
05-25-2005, 20:56
I'm a MRO (materials, repairs, and operations) Purchasing Agent. I basically buy parts, tools and equipment. Pretty mechanical stuff, and my usual tools are a loupe, micrometer, tape measure, PDA, and cell phone. Busy, active, and productive.

A local state university had an opening for an MRO buyer, and given the vastly improved benefits, I applied for and got the job, only to find out upon arrival, that the job actually entails nearly exclusive purchasing contract management. (In so many words, it's an 8-10 hour a day, chained to the desk in a cubie job) Go ahead and laugh. Now I'm Dilbert.

Now, I'm miseable, but I'm afraid that jumping ship so fast could damage my career rep. On the other hand, some of my outside contacts have told me that if I'm exposed for too long to a government position, I'll be branded as a "slug". I can't get out of this hellhole fast enough. I'm I as screwed as I think I am?

Vitamin G
05-28-2005, 14:07
Perhaps take the opportunity to get a masters in something (or a bachelor's in something else, if you dont like it) while you're there? Universities usually have great benefits.

As a side note, I dont think that a short term employment on a resume would look horrible. I'd explain it away (if even asked) as "I didn't feel the company and I were a good match for each other".

modgun
05-28-2005, 18:08
Can you return to your previous job?
As an employer I can say that if you were a good employee and left on good terms there is a high possibility they would give you your old job back.

Many people dont realize that an employer will usually be more than happy to take someone back who was a good member of the team. Especially if not much time has passed.

jame
05-28-2005, 23:00
I tried to go back to the old employer, but to no avail........"superman" got the job. Twice the years of experience, plus 6 years of training others on the software that I used. I really can't blame them for that.

I'm considering outside industrial sales......I have a BS in Marketing, 6 years of very successfull inside sales experience, and about 15 years in the purchasing arena. I'm agressive and high energy. I know both sides of the desk.

What's the overall opinion of that?

Glkster19
05-29-2005, 13:57
Originally posted by jame
On the other hand, some of my outside contacts have told me that if I'm exposed for too long to a government position, I'll be branded as a "slug".

Call me a slug then but when I'm retired at 47 with full benefits and an awesome pension, those "outside contacts" are still working towards that wonderful "typical" retirement age of 55-60. Those bashing gov't jobs are typically those that can't get them.

If you don't want a cubicle job, thats fine. But think about the benefits of gov't vs. private sector. My job is a long ways from a cubicle, but I sure as hell wouldn't go back to work for a private company.

Sinister Angel
05-30-2005, 00:04
Originally posted by Glkster19
Call me a slug then but when I'm retired at 47 with full benefits and an awesome pension, those "outside contacts" are still working towards that wonderful "typical" retirement age of 55-60. Those bashing gov't jobs are typically those that can't get them.

If you don't want a cubicle job, thats fine. But think about the benefits of gov't vs. private sector. My job is a long ways from a cubicle, but I sure as hell wouldn't go back to work for a private company.

Yes, and just remember who pays for your plush benefits - it sure isn't the free market, that's for damned sure.

Glkster19
05-30-2005, 05:54
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
Yes, and just remember who pays for your plush benefits - it sure isn't the free market, that's for damned sure.

I know where they come from. I won't be called a slug by the taxpayers, I earn my check/benefits. If I'm out and about and those taxpayers want to talk about whats going on around town, I'm all ears 'til they're done. Not that I can do anything about what they generally complain about since I just ride the ambulance.

duncan
05-30-2005, 23:00
If you are not happy, start interviewing for the job you want.

Employers want happy employees and you owe it to them to be motivated and aggressive in your work.

It would not be a bad mark if you left after a couple months in that job.

Now days employers are mainly focused on skills. Just be prepared to explain why you left.

I'd start interviewing right now if you're not happy.

OR

Stay a year then start interviewing for the next job.

I know the feeling. Left a large company for more responsibility at a small high tech company. Now I find out I can't do my job (general counsel) as effectively because everything HAS to be cleared with the boss, the CEO.

Heck, I had more authority as a squat corp counsel at the bigger company!

My plan, work about a year, gather a couple key projects under my done checklist and start interviewing for the big $100K raise.

Sorry guys, as a guy who has worked public and private sectors, you just can't beat a $30-75K bonus, the stock options, nice hotels, or an all-expense paid fishing trip to Alaska or a free vacaction to Hawaii for you and your spouse. Heck, you even get the wireless laptop and the balckberry cell phone and the nice office with the view of the city!

I never got those benies working for the State or the City. 100 year old furniture, no nice view. Only political fundraisers and cheap hotels.

But the public sector does have great time off and the pension.

If you want to get paid and get the toys, it's the private sector.