CCW on ankle? Left handed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW on ankle? Left handed

almalave
05-26-2005, 08:37
Hi guys: Pretty sure you can help.
I'm in Puerto Rico and got my permit for gun ownership and target practice. Got a G27.
My CCW permit shoud be in the mail soon. Since it is very hot here yearround, I was considering carrying in the ANKLE because my job demands I always dress in dress pants and button down shirt(no jackets). Wonder if you have any suggestions on brand (Galco, etc.), calf strap or not, and which are relatively confortable. Will be carrying all day long.
Was thinking maybe I could buy used one from ebay(cheap)just to try it out and then make a selection of a new one.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. (there are a couple of gunshops around but not a lot of people I know CC and my old man uses a handbag for his CCW but I don't like it because you can't really have it on you all the time.
Thanks
ps. I'm left handed.

tgtshuter
05-26-2005, 23:05
I can't offer any real suggestions as I've never carried on my ankle. But I can share my thoughts, if that helps.
I'm left-handed also, and always thought ankle carry would be best on the inside right. Just seems like a natural movement to draw from there. Also, having it on the inside is maybe better concealment?

But, I could be totally wrong. Have you tried posting in the "carry issues" forum? You'd get more responses there. Do a search too.

Buying an inexpensive holster, like Uncle Mike's is a good idea to get a general feel for ankle carry, but I caution you to not form a full opinion based on that. A quality holster makes a big difference - at least with IWB carry.

Good Luck!

almalave
05-27-2005, 09:31
Thanks for your input. I guess that's the way to go in terms of trying a cheaper model just to get the feel of it, like you said.

El Duderino
05-27-2005, 09:39
I carry a S&W 642 on my ankle the majority of the time. I'm right handed and the holster is on my left leg/inside. If you're left handed you'll carry on your right leg/inside. I suggest trying the Uncle Mike's ankle rig. It comes with a calf strap but I've never needed it. I do stitch the thumb break in place after I fit the holster. I've carried this way on duty and off and have never had retention issues when running,jumping, kicking etc...

silversport
06-19-2005, 11:23
Galco Ankle Glove is THE most comfortable ankle holster I have ever worn...Lou Alessi is great too but a bit more money (no problem there) and the wait time is greater...Alessi gets the nod for quality but I wear the Ankle Glove for duty...
Bill

michael t
07-11-2005, 19:44
Inside right butt foward can reach and draw L,R/handed that way. Not really all the much slower for L/hand and lot easier for R/hand at least for me

SouthpawG26
07-12-2005, 03:57
Like you almalave,

I live in a tropical climate (South. Am), and periodically I carry my CCW G26 on the right ankle instead of the usual IWB, when clothing dictates. I've done this for about two years now in a Shooting Systems ankle holster without calf strap. You don't need the strap with such a light weapon IMHO.

I have found this rig quite comfortable for a full day of carry, which include lots of travel by foot, and some 7 hour plus car commutes as well.

Choose a holster, like mine, that allows fine tuning of the gun's cant for maximised concealment.

Rockchucker
07-12-2005, 22:13
Originally posted by almalave
Hi guys: Pretty sure you can help.
I'm in Puerto Rico and got my permit for gun ownership and target practice. Got a G27.
My CCW permit shoud be in the mail soon. Since it is very hot here yearround, I was considering carrying in the ANKLE because my job demands I always dress in dress pants and button down shirt(no jackets). Wonder if you have any suggestions on brand (Galco, etc.), calf strap or not, and which are relatively confortable. Will be carrying all day long.
Was thinking maybe I could buy used one from ebay(cheap)just to try it out and then make a selection of a new one.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. (there are a couple of gunshops around but not a lot of people I know CC and my old man uses a handbag for his CCW but I don't like it because you can't really have it on you all the time.
Thanks
ps. I'm left handed.
get a galco ankle glove w/ calf strap. i personal perfer the same holster, but with a smith titatium 38 in it

spookshack
07-13-2005, 00:48
What about trying one of those tuckable IWB holsters. The one where your shirt tucks in between the waistband and the gun? I have never used one, but it would seem to be perfect for your type of dress code. Here's a pic of one from Tucker's Gunleather.

With the shirt tucked in, the only visible part of the holster
is the flat belt clip.