Oil Changes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changes

ATI_RAGE_
05-26-2005, 14:33
OK guys do you do your own oil changes, and how often?

Personally I take it to the shop and let them do it, but last time I was their well they forgot the put back in the drain plug. I change it every 3,000 miles.

So wondering how pita job is it to do on your own. I have probably average mechanical abilities.

Since I have a higher milage car do you think that going synthetic would be better?

podwich
05-26-2005, 14:43
It's easy. All you do is drain the oil, change the filter, fill the oil.

I'm going to guess and say you probably don't need synthetic oil but you're certainly welcome to use it.

Rob1035
05-26-2005, 14:55
Its a very simple job. If you're doing it your first time, make a list of the process, and slowly follow it, and double check everything before you finish. Like everything working on cars, the first time usually takes about 5 times longer than subsequent times.

I do it religiously at 3k miles, and IMHO, its worth spending a few extra bucks, doing it myself, and having peace of mind. I have heard too many horror stories about jiffy lube type places and the monkeys that work their. I use the cheapest oil I can find, with quality filters. IMHO, unless your car comes with it (new porsche, vette, etc), synthetic is a sham. If you're good about keeping up with changes, it offers no benefits in my mind. I have motor builder buddies who back me up as well.

epsylum
05-26-2005, 15:07
Originally posted by Rob1035
Its a very simple job. If you're doing it your first time, make a list of the process, and slowly follow it, and double check everything before you finish. Like everything working on cars, the first time usually takes about 5 times longer than subsequent times.

I do it religiously at 3k miles, and IMHO, its worth spending a few extra bucks, doing it myself, and having peace of mind. I have heard too many horror stories about jiffy lube type places and the monkeys that work their. I use the cheapest oil I can find, with quality filters. IMHO, unless your car comes with it (new porsche, vette, etc), synthetic is a sham. If you're good about keeping up with changes, it offers no benefits in my mind. I have motor builder buddies who back me up as well.

Synthetics are good, but most of us don't need it. I do know at least for motorcycles, so I imagine it holds true for cars, that when breaking in an engine, use only a high quality regular oil (no synthetics). There are minerals and such in the oil that bonds to the rings and cylinder walls that hepls make everything seal right.

There are really good non-synthetic oils that do a great job, but if you plan on really punishing (read: rev the crap out of it and drive like you stole it) a car, a good synthetic may not be a bad idea.

Basically, I agree.

A good oil filter is a good thing to have. Also, if in doubt, change the oil. It can't hurt it.

ATI_RAGE_
05-26-2005, 15:33
I'll give it a shot if the goon platoon at Jiffy Lube can do it, I know I can .

Got the Chiltons handy aswell as a buddy close by just incase.

First time I do one.

epsylum
05-26-2005, 15:39
Originally posted by ATI_RAGE_
I'll give it a shot if the goon platoon at Jiffy Lube can do it, I know I can .

Got the Chiltons handy aswell as a buddy close by just incase.

First time I do one.

Good luck. I hope you have a car where the oil filter is easy to ge to. Some cars are a pain in rear to even get ahold of the filter, much less change it.

Always remeber to not put you face directly under the drain plug when you go to take it out.;f

ATI_RAGE_
05-26-2005, 16:25
Done. Didn't get oil in my eyes, but all over my arm. Filter came out easy enough. Think I gotta calm down I dented the sucker unscrewing it, so I took it easy on the new one. Gave it about 1.5 turns with the filter wrench.

Dumped the oil at autozone.

As I left I noticed a HUGE puddle of oil about maybe 1/4 quart so I took I swung by my buddy everything looked good. Let it sit for a bit to make sure , nothing.

Checked the oil dipstick, it was normal just like when I filled it up. Weird. I'll keep an eye on it but I checked the old filter gasket.

lcarreau
05-26-2005, 16:28
Some cars have filters that are a PITA to get at. When I owned cars like that, I paid to get it done. Otherwise I do it myself.

-Lonnie

fnfalman
05-26-2005, 16:31
Oil change procedure in itself is easy. You open up the drain plug and let the oil out, then take off the filter, slap on the new filter (lube the gasket with some oil), screw the plug back on, fill up, done.

The tricky part is if your vehicle is high off the ground enough for you to crawl under or you gotta jack up your vehicle, or having some sort of ramp and hopefully the damn thing doesn't come crashing down and crush your chest. Or the filter is in some godawful place that you'd have to be Mr. Fantastic with rubber arm to reach it.

ATI_RAGE_
05-26-2005, 16:37
I used a couple of jackstands to hold it up. Oil filter was acutally easy to get to, it was "hot" though so I had to use a towel to grab to unscrew the last little bit.

epsylum
05-26-2005, 16:55
I had an 86 Nissan 300zx. You actually had to put your arm on the headers to get to the oil filter. It was more like a pain in the arm! Covering your arm with some rags and the crappy little heat shield over the headers (how nice of them ;Q ) helps, but it still sucks.

I wish car companies would just use those remote oil fitler things the make for race bikes and cars and place the friggin filter somehwere easy to get to. Or at least not put a bunch of junk infornt of the filter. I swear I think some of these engineers don't understand vehicle maintenence. They design 'em like the oil never needs changing.

ATI_RAGE_
05-26-2005, 17:23
Originally posted by epsylum
I had an 86 Nissan 300zx. You actually had to put your arm on the headers to get to the oil filter. It was more like a pain in the arm! Covering your arm with some rags and the crappy little heat shield over the headers (how nice of them ;Q ) helps, but it still sucks.

I wish car companies would just use those remote oil fitler things the make for race bikes and cars and place the friggin filter somehwere easy to get to. Or at least not put a bunch of junk infornt of the filter. I swear I think some of these engineers don't understand vehicle maintenence. They design 'em like the oil never needs changing.

Geez that must have been damn hot. Working on a hot car is not fun. A few years back I had a belt go in the middle of the cool AZ summer. I was very very lucky that day.

Rob1035
05-26-2005, 17:56
That's a good point about the location. FWIW, I always try to change the oil at the very least warm, if not hot.

When I had my Integra Type R, the filter is horizontal and on the back of the engine towards the firewall. Huge pain in the ass, and you are guaranteed to drip oil on the exhaust, I hated it.

My E30 has a different type of filter, not the screw on type, but the drop in type, much much easier, no spilled oil necessary

UtahIrishman
05-26-2005, 18:21
My truck is a piece of cake to change the oil and filter in, but my wife's car is a real pain. The filter is stuck up right next to the firewall surrounded by all kinds of stuff.

I had pretty much decided to change the oil in my truck but let Jiffy Lube do the wifes car until they screwed up once too often and ended up with a huge leak when they cross-threaded the filter. So now I do her car too even if it is a PITA. I had to take off some of the rubber under-covering to get to it, but I don't think it will be missed ;a

Only problem with doing it myself is I have a tendency to slack on the mileage because I don't get the nice little reminders in the mail to bring it in for service. So I've started to remind myself with an Outlook task.

Ramtuff
05-26-2005, 21:27
I change my own oil between 3000-5000 miles using Mobile 1 and a quality filter (stay far, far away from Fram). I don't know why, but it seems to take me awhile to change it...
Step 1: Get out tools and remove drain plug
Step 2: Drink a beer while oil drains
Step 3: Replace drain plug and remove filter
Step 4: Drink another beer while removing oil from hands
Step 5: Replace filter
Step 6: Drink a beer
Step 7: Refill engine with oil while drinking another beer
Step 8: Run engine, and look for leaks, then shut off
Step 9: Wait for oil to drain back to the pan while drinking a beer
Step 10: Check dipstick.
Step 11: Drink a beer while patting yourself on the back for a job well done
Step 12: Clean up tools and drain pan
Step 13: Take a nap

;f ;f

ATI_RAGE_
05-26-2005, 23:20
^^^ lol

Step 8 I seem to be stuck at. I've noticed two drops of oil everywhere I park I get about 2 maybe 4 drops of oil. It's comming from the filter. How tight does this SOB have to be?

protozo1
05-26-2005, 23:45
I'm using Mobil one extended use stuff, they say 15,000 miles between changes. I don't really follow the mileage but I do check the oil level regularly and observe the oil color, when it starts getting a little dark I change it out.

Ramtuff
05-27-2005, 00:34
^^^ lol

Step 8 I seem to be stuck at. I've noticed two drops of oil everywhere I park I get about 2 maybe 4 drops of oil. It's comming from the filter. How tight does this SOB have to be?

It doesn't need to be super tight, but did you remember to coat the rubber seal of the new filter with some oil?

ATI_RAGE_
05-27-2005, 01:33
Yup I did coat it. Couple drops isn't something to fret about it's just I don't like to 1/2 ass anything.

45acp4me
05-27-2005, 08:24
Done. Didn't get oil in my eyes, but all over my arm. Filter came out easy enough. Think I gotta calm down I dented the sucker unscrewing it, so I took it easy on the new one. Gave it about 1.5 turns with the filter wrench.

Rule of thumb, never use a filter wrench to install a filter, hand tighten only. If you are worried about it coming off, only give it half a turn with the filter wrench. 1.5 turns after getting it nice and tight by hand is way too much.

ATI_RAGE_
05-27-2005, 09:15
I talked to a buddy lastnight about my problem he was thinking it could be a bad gasket. He said the same thing as 45acpme.

If I swap out the current filter, do I need to re do the whole job over again or can I re-use that oil? It's been in their for 1 day only. Could I just take off the filter without doing the drain plug?

Ramtuff
05-27-2005, 09:40
Yeah, you can just remove the filter without draining the pan again. Just check the oil level after you put the new one on and top off as needed. ^c

Mail Clerk
05-27-2005, 11:25

Personally I take it to the shop and let them do it, but last time I was their well they forgot the put back in the drain plug. I change it every 3,000 miles.

So wondering how pita job is it to do on your own. I have probably average mechanical abilities.

Since I have a higher milage car do you think that going synthetic would be better?

ATI_RAGE_,

Don't be so hard on them. They do this all day and it wears on a person! It can happen to anyone. You'd be surprised what happens in our office. I'd say continue to let them do the change for you. If it happens again. They pay for the oil. It's simple. I think synthetic is a good move for you. I use it all the time in my two cars. In the long run it'll last longer.

Mail Clerk

ATI_RAGE_
05-27-2005, 16:12
I didn't mean to sound that harsh, sometimes I find myself goofing on people.

I picked up a new filter and lifted the car checked the old filter their was a nice ring of oil around the outisde of it.

I let the car run for about 15 minutes checked level and checked for leaks none were found.

I drove it for about 10 min then parked it infront of the house checked for any oil spots before I parked and after I parked by about 30 min. So looking good. I'll check also after work.

Oh yeah 1/4 turn if the filter wrench this time, no she man ...errr he man strength this time. ;f

Clydeglide
05-27-2005, 18:20
Originally posted by epsylum
I do know at least for motorcycles, so I imagine it holds true for cars, that when breaking in an engine, use only a high quality regular oil (no synthetics).

According to Mobil and Amsoil you can use their synthetic oils for break-in. Mobil says the only reason not to is economic. Why put in expensive oil you're not going to keep in there but a few hundred miles?

FWIW I put Mobil 1 in a freshly rebuilt Jeep engine right from day one. It seems to have broken in just fine and now has over 30k miles on it.

The same with my motorcycle. I left the original fill in for the recommended period and went to Mobil 1 at the first oil change ~600-800 miles. It immediately shifted better and also seems to have broken in just fine. It now has 10k miles on it.

Harley Davidson ships their CVO bikes with synthetic oil from the factory. So does Ford, Mercedes, Porsche, GM.....Did I miss one? Their engines break in fine as well.

Please show me something other than anecdotal evidence where you should not use synthetics to break in an engine.

Oh yes, the original question. I was in the car service business for over 20 years. I take my cars and bikes to the dealer. I have changed it myself but I don't like to get .........dirty!

;b

Clydeglide
05-27-2005, 18:53

When they forget it's on them, If you forget..........

;b

Ramtuff
05-27-2005, 21:26
Originally posted by Clydeglide
When they forget it's on them, If you forget..........

;b

Not quite true. I know a few people who have been stuck with footing the bill to replace their seized engine due to the negligence of different shops.

ATI_RAGE_
05-27-2005, 23:44
I am going to be honest with everyone here.

When I take my car for service I am like a hawk. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. Simple things I can do, and know the process involved. I check to make sure that the drain bolt is put back on, and that it is filled with oil, and that it has a filter. Am I a little bit over the top? Maybe.

I've had a car destroyed completely utterly by a mechanic before, I had to sue and in the end I lost out, I won the case but lost time ..etc . So I know that things happen but I try to avoid the simple stuff, like a bolt that is missing.

podwich
05-28-2005, 00:30
As mentioned earlier, you really don't need a filter wrench to install an oil filter. Hand tight is all you're looking for. It's possible a leak could be caused by overtightening-you could crush the rubber gasket on the filter and cause it to fail.

The filters also tend to get harder to remove the longer they're on. I made the mistake of taking my truck to Walmart for a change once-when I went to change my oil myself a few months later, I couldn't get it to come off. I ended up buying a filter socket and using a butterfly impact wrench to unscrew it (I couldn't get a filter wrench in there due to the location).

Clydeglide
05-28-2005, 05:25
Originally posted by Ramtuff
Not quite true. I know a few people who have been stuck with footing the bill to replace their seized engine due to the negligence of different shops.

I guess that would depend on the integrity of the shop or the car owner. Wait! Customers never lie!

:cool:

Ramtuff
05-28-2005, 07:52
Originally posted by Clydeglide
I guess that would depend on the integrity of the shop or the car owner. Wait! Customers never lie!

Wow, you got me there. I guess these people decided to drain the oil from their car a few miles down the road from the shop, and lie about it, because they have nothing better to do than scam people into replacing their engine. ;Q Afterall, shops never lie. ;Q ;Q

Clydeglide
05-28-2005, 08:11
Originally posted by Ramtuff
Wow, you got me there. I guess these people decided to drain the oil from their car a few miles down the road from the shop, and lie about it, because they have nothing better to do than scam people into replacing their engine. ;Q Afterall, shops never lie. ;Q ;Q

I was referring to franchise car dealers NOT Quick Lubes. Those guys are the worst. I would never take a vehicle to any quick lubes.

The stuff I saw them do and not stand behind was incredible yet dealers get the bad rep. Not that some of them didn't earn it.

I worked over 20 years at dealership service departments and if we caused it we fixed it....period. I would never accept a position at a dealership whose service department had even a hint of not doing the right thing.

Sorry about your luck with the quick lubes. I have never seen where they save you time or money. Perhaps a little more convenient.

Ramtuff
05-28-2005, 09:51
Thanks for the clarification. I assumed (and we all know what assume spells) you were talking about the quick lubes. Yeah, most dealerships are pretty good for taking the responsibility when they screw something up, but the quick lube places are horrible. I worked at a pretty good dealership when I was a bit younger, and screw ups did happen every now and then, but they ponied up to it and took care of it.

GoGators
05-29-2005, 17:56
Why do people not like Fram filters? Do they not do the job well?

I sure like that no slip grip they put on them, because my hand always gets covered in oil when I remove the old filter.

Ramtuff
05-29-2005, 18:48
Originally posted by GoGators
Why do people not like Fram filters? Do they not do the job well?

There was an independant study done a few years back that looked at filter construction. Frams had very small filter element surface areas, and had glued on cardboard end caps that easily leak allowing the oil to drain back to the pan without being filtered. Basically, they're junk. For around the same price, Purolator, AC Delco, and Napa Gold filters are very good.

streeter69
05-30-2005, 07:32
I have done my homework on this stuff. I settled on Amsoil filters (no, I am not a salesman), these I found to be the best in filtering, followed by Mobil1, Napa Gold (wix).

fnfalman
06-01-2005, 11:56
It's been a long time since I used those quickie lube places, but when I did, I made sure that I saw what was going on with my car. Old oil out, new oil in, new filter in, no leaks, etc. Hell, I even made them put in the amount of oil as per called for in the manual instead of them just checking the dipstick to see if the level barely crosses the bottom mark.

anchoryanker23
06-10-2005, 00:52
here's an oil sample analysis for my Super Duty
oil is Rotella T Synthetic 5w/40
for anyone else here with a Diesel,I highly recommend Blackstone Labs. $20 for an analysis sure beats 8,000 dollars for a new Motor!
P.S. notice how low the readings were at 3,300 miles. practically virgin oil. i,m gonna run 6,000 this next time and may move to 7,000 if everything looks good this next time, but probably no farther.

P.P.S. oh yeah, this truck is WAY from stock. TS Performance Chip with Fuel7, propane, Volant cold air intake, exhaust with 4"DP and 5" stacks with flappers, triple pod gauges, Whicked wheel on the turbo, 6" lift with 37" toyo M/T on 20" chrome American Racing Mojaves, boost relief valve on turbo(hit 34 lbs. of boost the other day!)and a few other things. runs 15's with the 37"s, can hit hi 14's with the stock tires and a 4-hi launch. s/b CC, weighs 8540 lbs on a certified scale;G

StockGlock23
06-27-2005, 10:07
I change my own oil and I do it between 10,000 and 15,000 miles. I have a 96 Dodge Ram with over 175,000 miles on it nd it runs like a top. I use Amsoil Synthetic. (My dad is a dealer but only so that we can get the better price) I am not trying to sell the stuff to you guys. So this is not an advertisment. I could care less what everybody else uses. The expensive stuff is good so is the cheap stuff. I like Amsoil since I don't have to change my oil as often. I have all of teir products in my truck as well. Tranny fluid, gear oil, motor oil.

streeter69
06-28-2005, 05:31
Originally posted by StockGlock23
I have all of teir products in my truck as well. Tranny fluid, gear oil, motor oil.

Did you notice your coolant temp? mine went down about 20 degrees:)

One Ragged Hole
06-28-2005, 10:31
I do all my own work on my cars. I once helped a friend change his oil where the filter was so tight an oil filter wrench crushed the filter. We got it off by wrapping the filter with about 5 turns of rope. By holding one end and pulling on the other the filter spun off at warp speed. Give it a try for that stubborn filter.
O-R-H

StockGlock23
06-28-2005, 12:28
Originally posted by streeter69
Did you notice your coolant temp? mine went down about 20 degrees:)

Mine did not change as far as I can tell. It does not seem to mind having the AC and all that on in the summer though it never gets too hot.