Why does apple still use 1-button mouse? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why does apple still use 1-button mouse?

Deanster
05-27-2005, 15:32
I'm a longtime Mac user, but also administer a network of a dozen or so WinXp machines, along with a Mac mini, a couple PowerMacs and a couple Powerbooks.

I honestly think the most ridiculous thing Apple does is sell their one-button mice. I can't stand 'em. Won't use 'em. Bad ergonomics, you can only grip them one way and still click, and no right-click contextual menus.

All that is before you get to the scroll wheel - the very best innovation in user interface in decades.

So, Mac fanboi that I am, the very first thing I do when I set up a new Mac is attach a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer to it.

pesticidal
05-27-2005, 15:35
I use a four button mouse with a scroll wheel, and I don't now how I got by with less...

astevens54
05-27-2005, 15:44
Because one button is the most Apple users can handle...Ha. Just kidding

mhambi
05-27-2005, 15:45
Originally posted by astevens54
Because one button is the most Apple users can handle...Ha. Just kidding

;);)

Deanster
05-27-2005, 22:51
LOL!

I hadn't seen that one before

JMag
05-27-2005, 23:01
It's simple...Mac's are less complicated than peecees. You knew that already but thought they were...just for graphics geeks.;e

Guess what? They're not...

dport
05-28-2005, 11:14
I think it's pretty much their gimmick. One I think they should drop. Or at least offer a 3, 4 or 5 button mouse as an option.

I love Macs, but the one button mouse is annoying. Oh and they have to change their laptops to include two buttons as well.

Sinister Angel
05-30-2005, 19:16
"What can you do with your PC that I can't do with my Mac?"
"Right Click"

I forgot where I heard that, I thought it was good though :)

cmb2874
05-31-2005, 02:00
As a longtime Apple user and employee I will give you the simple answer.

Apple views the keyboard as the other button on the mouse. If you did not know this, you can use multi button mice with mac, and right click, and do whatever you want and set it up however you want.

Steve Jobs decided long ago that they would stick with the one button design and use the keyboard as the multi functional controller as upossed to a multi button mouse. I guess it all comes down to Think Differently.

-CMB

dport
05-31-2005, 10:25
Originally posted by cmb2874
Apple views the keyboard as the other button on the mouse. If you did not know this, you can use multi button mice with mac, and right click, and do whatever you want and set it up however you want.

Steve Jobs decided long ago that they would stick with the one button design and use the keyboard as the multi functional controller as upossed to a multi button mouse. I guess it all comes down to Think Differently.

-CMB
I can understand the logic.

However, by not having a 2 or more button mouse Apple takes a one handed task and makes it a two handed task. That's not very efficient.

That's why I use a PC mouse on my eMac, and I'm looking for some sort of track ball assembly for my iBook.