Help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help!

allglock
05-29-2005, 12:59
My POS Dell dimension 8300, has been giving me problems, since day one. the Dell support is worthless, so I figured maybe someone here can help.
First off, I have thoroughly checked and removed any spyware and viruses.
Now my problem.
This thing freezes up on me ALL the time, and reebooting is the only option.(I try to close out whatever is "not responding" (Ctrl,Alt, Delete")and it will not close out. So I must reeboot.
I also tried repairing the registry with "registry fix" I think its called.
Dell support wants me to reinstall windows.
How do I know if my processor is bad?
Everything is really slow on this POS also.
It shouldnt be either(It is a pentium 4, 2.8 ghz. with hyperthreading technology, 1 gig of memory.Blah blah Blah.

What is wrong with this POS?
Help!;4 ;1

pesticidal
05-29-2005, 13:04
Dell support may be correct. I'd run a full OS install

proguncali
05-29-2005, 13:04
Originally posted by allglock
My POS Dell dimension 8300, has been giving me problems, since day one. the Dell support is worthless, so I figured maybe someone here can help.
First off, I have thoroughly checked and removed any spyware and viruses.
Now my problem.
This thing freezes up on me ALL the time, and reebooting is the only option.(I try to close out whatever is "not responding" (Ctrl,Alt, Delete")and it will not close out. So I must reeboot.
I also tried repairing the registry with "registry fix" I think its called.
Dell support wants me to reinstall windows.
How do I know if my processor is bad?
Everything is really slow on this POS also.
It shouldnt be either(It is a pentium 4, 2.8 ghz. with hyperthreading technology, 1 gig of memory.Blah blah Blah.

What is wrong with this POS?
Help!;4 ;1

Is your memory one sticks or two?

If two, remove one and then reboot see what happens. If no change sawp sticks and reboot

Also, you can look on the back and there should be 4 leds. IF all is ok they will be green, if there is a problem there will be one or two ambers....

LittleLebowski
05-29-2005, 13:56
Before you start yanking things out (though bad memory is usually a culprit of weird errors), go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, look for errors there at the exact time of your last crash.

Washington,D.C.
05-29-2005, 21:11
Some of the Dimension 8300's have some heat issues.Go in to the bios and disabling hyper threading can help.Also bios A05 seems to have less of a problem than bios A06.

Washington,D.C.
05-29-2005, 21:15
The Dimension 8300 CD has a testing utility to test the hardware.If it checks good,try unistalling anti virus program but people report even with reinstalling Windows the problem still exist so it may well be hardware but the anti virus program has been known to cause the same problems in this model.

LittleLebowski
05-29-2005, 21:16
This thread makes me love my Mac.