Physical test for a paid dept tomorrow [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Physical test for a paid dept tomorrow

ClydeG19
06-01-2005, 07:20
This dept is not using the CPAT. The event that will make me or break me is the bench press. I need to do 99% of my weight and I'm very close, but haven't been able to do it yet. I've got some good anger/inspirational music to listen to on the way to the test, so I'm hoping that I'll be psyched enough to give me the extra few lbs of extra push.

Wish me luck.;f As long as I can do the bench press, I'll be on to the background check (nothing should really trip me up there) so I should be on to the second interview with an officer. After that, I'm hired. Now if it were only as easy as typing this.

Pa Glock guy
06-06-2005, 19:16
How did you do on your test? If you dont mind, what city did you take the test for? I work for Bethlehem.

ClydeG19
06-07-2005, 07:03
I took the test for Anne Arundel Co MD. I passed. It was a pass fail basis. THere was a 1.5mi run, bench your weight, sit and reach, and so many situps in a minute. No CPAT. Now I wait for an offer. To my surprise, there is no second interview. I'm probably too far down the list to get an offer unless a lot of people are knocked out by the background check though. I didn't do as well as I could have on the oral interview.

Pa Glock guy
06-23-2005, 19:50
Its been a while since you replied to my question but cangratulations on passing the physical part of the test. Thats pretty much the test I took back in 1989 to get on the BFD. We now use the Combat Challenge plus a swim test for the physical agility. If you dont get a job offer, keep trying. There are alot of career depts. down in VA and MD. If you want to stay in PA there are a few career depts. here. It seems like there is more opportunity for advancement in the bigger, county depts. but you usually have to put up with affirmitave action, diversity crap. The smaller cities, like Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Scranton, etc. usually dont have quotas but its harder to get on and to move up the ladder in a smaller dept. unless you go to Philly or Pittsburg. I took a bunch of tests before I scored high enough. Good luck and if you need advice or help let me know.

DBake
01-17-2006, 21:08
Originally posted by ClydeG19
I took the test for Anne Arundel Co MD. I passed. It was a pass fail basis. THere was a 1.5mi run, bench your weight, sit and reach, and so many situps in a minute. No CPAT. Now I wait for an offer. To my surprise, there is no second interview. I'm probably too far down the list to get an offer unless a lot of people are knocked out by the background check though. I didn't do as well as I could have on the oral interview.

How does the oral interviews go? What kinda stuff they ask?

ClydeG19
01-28-2006, 14:50
I don't remember specifically what they asked, but they were very open ended questions. I remember they asked "What have you done to prepare yourself for a career as a firefighter?" and "What will you do to prepare for the academic portion of the academy?"

Every dept will format their interview differently, so it's really hard to say how the interview will go.