Which Linux distribution to get? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which Linux distribution to get?

cgwahl
06-01-2005, 20:44
Just got a new hard drive the other day and would like to install Linux on one of the partitions to finally get a chance to learn it.

Last time I installed it (I think Red Hat) only thing I could do was get on internet (could not use anything else...hehe).

Was going to download the iso's off of Red Hat's site again, but though maybe I should use another distribution of it. Anyone have any recommendations? If you recommend something, please provide a link so I can download it.

Also, in case its not obvious, I am a total newbie...did use Unix a few years back on a user level so I could compile a few c programs and whatnot though if that helps any.

Washington,D.C.
06-01-2005, 22:29
Litrix EX
Easiest to use and very fast and modern.

ftp://litrix.codigolivre.org.br/pub/litrix/litrix-EX.iso.zip

It's one CD.Unzip the download and burn the image to CD.

Glock Bob
06-02-2005, 11:11
I suggest Knoppix available at LinuxISO.org (http://linuxiso.org). You can burn it to CD and run it from there, then install it if you like it. Also, many other distro's are available at the above site.

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2005, 11:25
http://www.linuxiso.org is not always up to date.Take a look at http://www.distrowatch.com it's kept very up to date.
Knoppix is up to version 3.9 which is nice but doesn't support all sound cards.Kanotix and PCLinuxOS seem to have more hardware support.Mepis almost always misses my sound cards but is good for hard drive install.As a live CD I find Mepis to be one of the slowest but maintains full Debian compatibilty.

David_G17
06-02-2005, 12:48
get fedora core (the free red hat).

it's much better with hardware detection than the old red hat.

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2005, 13:09
If you want to go with Fedora I suggest you get Fox Desktop.It's based on current Fedora without the duplicate programs and without server and programmimg software that most people don't use on desktop systems.It's cut down to one install CD but very complete.

http://cdn.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/foxlinux/fox/test/0.8/iso/fox-desktop-0.8.iso

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2005, 13:14
My mother is a programmer.She works with mainframe computers and terminals and doesn't know much about PC's or Linux.I put Litrix EX on her PC.I still find it the most complete and easy to use Linux.It incluses useful software that is normally only inclused on the paid CD's or only given links to add the software.Mostly licensed software that others either can't or won't include.

cgwahl
06-02-2005, 16:22
Going to go with the one you originally recommended.

Wish I would have let it finish last night since I just wanted to go to bed and turn the computer off halfway through...was downloadiing at a good pace.

Today it says its going to take like 10 hours...hehe.

Guess Brazil is having peak hours or something right now.

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2005, 16:40
Wow 10 hours.If you have a broadband connection you might want to restart the download and see if it's any faster. Litrix EX is great!It is absolutely the most complete and surprizing fast.If you need any help installing it let me know.It's fairly straight forward.

cgwahl
06-02-2005, 16:45
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Wow 10 hours.If you have a broadband connection you might want to restart the download and see if it's any faster. Litrix EX is great!It is absolutely the most complete and surprizing fast.If you need any help installing it let me know.It's fairly straight forward.

I doubt I'll have any trouble installing...although will keep you in mind just in case.

Meh, its ok...I'm downloading it while at work anyhow so it'll just be ready for me when I get home. Besides, not even going to do the installation until the weekend anyhow so no real hurry. Just as long as its done downloading by tonight...hehe.

About 3 hours and 15 minutes to go...

Out of curiousity, saw on the ftp that there is another iso on there; litrix-2.1.iso.zip.

How does that one compare with EX? Was going to download it after this one just in case you didn't know it was on there, but wondering if I'd be wasting my time.

David_G17
06-02-2005, 16:51
Originally posted by cgwahl

Guess Brazil is having peak hours or something right now.

fwiw, i usually download from canada if possible. it's physically close (well closer than europe) and not as bogged down as American servers, yet canadians seem to be able to afford decent bandwidth.

Washington,D.C.
06-02-2005, 16:56
Not a huge population in Canada.About 30 million total.If I find a server in the Netherlands I find them normally faster than American servers.Downloading Litrix EX is limited.

metallic
06-04-2005, 13:00
I'd recommend one of the beginner distros like Mandrake. Then when you have gained some experience, you can switch to a real distro like Debian or Gentoo ;f