I hate OEM computers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I hate OEM computers

pyblood
06-03-2005, 12:30
A Customer calls me up and tells me that the computer at her church wonít come on. She said that there was a power outage or something and now their computer is messed up. I figure that the power supply is dead, so I go and pick it up. I remove the old power supply and just hook up (not install) another regular power supply, and it powers up. I am thinking ďGreat this piece of work is done. This is quick and easy money!Ē I try to install it, and I then discover that it wonít fit! Itís too big. Thatís OK; I will just use a micro ATX power supply. It wonít fit either. Itís too small. A little searching reveals that this Gateway has a custom power supply and I will have to either purchase one from Gateway (new), purchase one from eBay (used), or purchase one from Insight (new). Another thing that upsets me is that the CPU doesnít have a fan. ;g It only has a heatsink. It gets its air from the power supply fan. I just hate that OEM system builders like Gateway!

I just had to vent a little!

MLM
06-03-2005, 12:56
Originally posted by pyblood

I just had to vent a little! Okay, you've been vented.

David_G17
06-03-2005, 13:30
I try to install it, and I then discover that it wonít fit! Itís too big. Thatís OK; I will just use a micro ATX power supply. It wonít fit either. Itís too small.

i've had a similar problem before.
the back of the case covered up where the cord inserts into the PS.

solution: http://www.werkzeug-news.de/news/news11201dremel/dremel-akkumultipro.jpg

Sgt. Schultz
06-03-2005, 18:11
I try to install it, and I then discover that it wonít fit! Itís too big. Thatís OK; I will just use a micro ATX power supply. It wonít fit either. Itís too small.

I had the same problem ... I removed the "guts" of the bad power supply and replaced it with "guts" of the new smaller power supply ... worked for me!