What kind of non-synthetic oil do you use? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What kind of non-synthetic oil do you use?

ClydeG19
06-03-2005, 14:24
I've heard that Castrol is the purest oil out there from a friend of mine. He said he's disassembled engines that have used Havoline, Penzoil, Valvoline, and Quaker State for years and found a lot of parrafin buildup. He swears by Castrol because he's never had that happen with any cars that use it.

Any similar experiences?

streeter69
06-03-2005, 14:51
I used to use Castrol before I switched to syn oil. I never had a problem with it in my 12k rpm motorcycle or my street rods.

Clydeglide
06-03-2005, 15:48
Originally posted by ClydeG19
I've heard that Castrol is the purest oil out there from a friend of mine. He said he's disassembled engines that have used Havoline, Penzoil, Valvoline, and Quaker State for years and found a lot of parrafin buildup. He swears by Castrol because he's never had that happen with any cars that use it.

Any similar experiences?

Actually, yes. But Castrol was the culprit.

I believe if you change your oil and filter on a regular and frequent basis you could buy the least expensive oil specified by your vehicle manufacturer without issue.

I have worked in the car service business for over 20 years and the only oil related issues I could prove was lack of maintenance. Anything else would be anecdotal.

I currently use synthetic with extended drain intervals in all my vehicles.

:cool:

walkin' trails
06-04-2005, 09:36
I used to run Mobile One Synthetic in my cars and still would, if I could find a reliable source for the 5W20 (I have an 03 Ford that requires it). I never had a problem with Mobile One. Back in the early '90s a Mustang magazine decided to test synthetic oils on the drag strip using one of the late model (early '90s) 5.0 Stangs. There were several companies making claims about their oils offering advantages in performance. The magazine testers observed that quarter mile times were actually a fraction quicker with Mobile One in the crankcase. The other oils did not show any measurable advantage. I don't remember how much quicker the car ran with Mobile One, but it was enough to get some drag racers excited. As I recall, they started adding Mobile One to their "tune up" protocol when testing new cars. If I can find the 5W20 is stocked at regular intervals at my local Walmart or autoparts store, I'll start using it again. Overall, regular oil changes at around 3,000 miles are still the best way to ensure that the motor stays together.

chevrofreak
06-06-2005, 17:53
Castrol GTX is great stuff.

Gary_P
06-06-2005, 19:59
Motorcraft 5W20 works fine in all my Ford's

Rob1035
06-06-2005, 20:05
Originally posted by Clydeglide

I believe if you change your oil and filter on a regular and frequent basis you could buy the least expensive oil specified by your vehicle manufacturer without issue.

ditto. no problems in my 100k bmw or my 9000rpm honda....not that thats definitive proof, but at least its not second hand 'net rubbish...

vart
06-07-2005, 19:53
I used to run Castrol GTX in all of my vehicles w/o any problems for years.
Then, I switched to Mobil 1 and was very happy with the increased fuel mileage.

However, with finances getting tighter and tighter, I just bought a 5-quart jug of Castrol GTX for $7.87 rather than cough up $25 for the Mobil 1. I put 7000 miles on my car every month, and oil changes have gotten expensive:( .

GoGators
06-07-2005, 19:56
Here's my theory: I change religiously every 3000-3500 miles. If my oil is approved by the API, shouldn't I be fine?

Rob1035
06-08-2005, 05:17
GoGater: indubitably. Unless that's a rhetorical question, in that case i retract my answer...:)

chris93473
06-08-2005, 15:13
Originally posted by GoGators
Here's my theory: I change religiously every 3000-3500 miles. If my oil is approved by the API, shouldn't I be fine?

same here