Windows XP Pro OEM [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Pro OEM

mfackler
06-05-2005, 17:58
I am in the process of getting together enough "part" to build a new PC. I would like it to dual boot Win XP Pro and Linux. I am looking at OEM versions of Win XP Pro. Does anyone have any experience with OEM software? It is perfectly legal for me to use sense it's going in a new PC Correct? Looks Like Newegg and TigerDirect sell OEM for $135. Looks a lot cheaper other places but they look like they are out of the country and not "fully registrable." I assume the ultra cheepy non USA stuff is something to stay away from. Anyone have a better source of OEM software (Particularly Win XP Pro SP2)?

Thanks

Mike

Soujurn
06-06-2005, 05:25
They have it here for $132.00
http://www.9software.com/Windows_XP_Professional_OEM_p/winxpprooem.htm

pyblood
06-06-2005, 20:57
Originally posted by mfackler
I am in the process of getting together enough "part" to build a new PC. I would like it to dual boot Win XP Pro and Linux. I am looking at OEM versions of Win XP Pro. Does anyone have any experience with OEM software? It is perfectly legal for me to use sense it's going in a new PC Correct? Looks Like Newegg and TigerDirect sell OEM for $135. Looks a lot cheaper other places but they look like they are out of the country and not "fully registrable." I assume the ultra cheepy non USA stuff is something to stay away from. Anyone have a better source of OEM software (Particularly Win XP Pro SP2)?

Thanks

Mike

I sometimes buy OEM software to save money. A Non-OEM copy of XP Pro is around $258, so you can't beat getting if for almost half the price.

Legal stuff:

It is my understanding that when you purchase an OEM OS, it must be purchased with a non-Microsoft piece of hardware. It is then “married to that piece of hardware.”

If you qualify (or one of your children), you can also purchase an academic upgrade of XP Pro for $82.49 from NewEgg. You can use it for a clean install of XP as long as you have another OS CD (Windows 98, ME, 2000) to put in the CD-Rom when setup asks for it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837116192