Starter problem? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Starter problem?

Glock9mmFan
06-06-2005, 10:27
I'd say about 25% of the time now, when I start my car, it "clicks" but won't start. The "click" seems to be coming from the general direction of the engine. If I turn the key to alternate then start the car again, it will start normally, but if I just try again it usually just "clicks" again.

The battery meter reads normal. Could this be a starter problem? Fuel pump problem? I'm not getting any error codes from the car's computer. Thanks.

g22toter
06-06-2005, 17:38
What year make and model is the car in question? Oh and you can most likely rule out the fuel pump even though they have a relay and also have a switch, but they would only disable your pump not your starter.

epsylum
06-06-2005, 19:07
I would start with checking your starter as you said your battery is fine. If some mechanic here knows what the voltages should be at the starter, that would help you emensely.

I unfortunately am not a mechanic, just have some in the family so a bit rubs off, but not all.

Gary_P
06-06-2005, 19:57
ok

if you have a volt/ohm/meter you can check available voltage at the starter. it should read battery voltage [i.e. 12 volts or better] compare reading across the battery to what you have at the starter to ground. it should be close to the same if not damn near identical.

if this passes, put one lead on the starter connection, one on the positive side of the battery. have someone try to start the engine. the voltage should remain 0 to 0.25 volts. this is known as a voltage drop test. If you have higher voltage readings, you have resistance in your Battery cable and will have to repair the cable. If you measure from the Starter connection lug to the Starter cable eyelet and voltage is high, your starter has an internal open or you have a Negative cable open/excess resistance. although, a bad ground will show up as high voltage on your initial voltage drop check.

and lastly, you can try a Gary_P exclusive. take a 32 ox Snap-on Deadblow ballpeen hammer and whack the ever loving snot on the starter housing. if it then spins, go buy a new starter.

Gary

EUPHER49
06-06-2005, 21:27
It couldn't be a starter relay or solenoid contact could it???

I'd look for one of those before whacking my $300 starter with a BFH...

Glock9mmFan
06-07-2005, 01:14
Gary, thanks for the information, I'll give that a try. The car in question is a '94 Chrysler T&C minivan. (yeah, it sucks, but hey)