new computer - suggestions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : new computer - suggestions

Nyper
06-06-2005, 13:11
I'm wanting a new desktop. My last 3 computers have all been laptops. Before that, I had several desktops that I built myself. I am no stranger to building them and working on them...

However, I am out of the loop on buying new hardware. I want a pretty fast machine.. 3g processor, 1g RAM, and a good video card for gaming and possibly dual outputs for 2 monitors. This setup is going to be about 2500 from Dell (including the 2 19" flat screens). Would I be able to save any money ordering the stuff and building it myself nowadays?

Gino
06-06-2005, 21:08
Right now, the largest and most respected seller of computer parts is newegg.com . Go over to their website and piece it together and see what it will run to build. I'd be surprised if a GOOD computer isn't cheaper to build yourself.

pyblood
06-06-2005, 21:15
$2500 will buy/build a lot of computer. I bet a pretty nice chunk of that $2500 was for the 2 LCD monitors.
Dellís prices are pretty good if you just want a computer with their standard components, but when you start adding additional components, the price can get pretty high.

I donít see how you canít build a very nice computer for less than that. Computer components are getting cheaper by the day. Since you are looking for at least a 3GHz proc, I assume that you want an Intel based PC.

I would recommend either an Intel Socket 775 processor on an Asus motherboard with PCI Express. I would recommend at least a gig of RAM (DDR or DDR2). I would look at either Lite-On or Plextor for a DVD+RW, and Seagate for the SATA hard drive(s). If you want to go high end, I would get a couple of 74GB Western Digital Raptors. Make sure to get a real good power supply. Whatever you do, donít buy a cheap power supply. Youíll regret it. I would recommend an Antec TruePower 2.0 power supply. I like ATI based video cards, but NVIDIA based video cards are real nice also.

The possibilities/combinations are endless. The choices are up to you. I would much rather have a custom built PC than any Dell PC.

RaiderRodney
06-07-2005, 09:42
I am wanting to do about the same thing as you are Nyper and without a doubt you can save some bucks and have a better machine building it yourself.

I am looking at the ASUS P5P800 Mb - $94 Newegg
P4 3.4ghz, 800fsb, 2mb cache - $409 Newegg
I have always liked crucial.com ram

I am not going with pci-express because I have an x800pro to plop in there ;)

and here is a nice site with a few more case options than newegg. And like someone previous said...get a case without powersuppy and get a good one

www.xoxide.com

Nyper
06-07-2005, 15:07
I will check out NewEgg. I came up with some stuff on TigerDirect last night, and it was going to be a lot cheaper.

I'll agree with you on the RAM RaiderRodney. I've always used Crucial and never had any problems from them. Shipping has ALWAYS been immediate and I simply couldn't ask for anything better. :)

I believe I am going to go with a 10,000 RPM for my master drive (only about 35g) and a 7200 RPM for my slave. My slave will just consists of the hords of software installation files and stuff that I don't access a lot. Anything useful will be installed on the master drive with the OS. Anything wrong with this?

Fixin to do some reviews on monitors and graphics cards now... Thanks everybody. :)

mitchshrader
06-21-2005, 13:57
Not dissin yer components.. though they're different from MY choices..

but Tiger Direct is high risk.

You can find out way more than this board would allow me to say by Googleing for 'Tiger Direct Sucks' and read the many MANY complaints.

Newegg, on the other hand, has a stratospheric customer service rating.

With Newegg, you can take a risk on low priced offbrands, because they post customer ratings. If a product is great, AND cheap, why not?

Stick to the 4 or 5 star rated items, and you can save a bundle.
IF you get a lemon, all you're out is shipping. Newegg WILL refund/replace/adjust as necessary. They ROCK for customer service.

They not only stand behind their promises, they EXCEED their promises. I can't praise em enough. After 3 years of buying from them, I've had issues, sure. Hundreds of purchases, any company is going to deliver some stuff that's off spec or not perfect. I've NEVER had a problem getting immediate satisfaction. They've next-day-aired me things, to fix an issue. Their cost. Full refunds, when the reason for the component failure was arguable.. and they didn't argue.

Now about SLI.. IF you get it, use it. Personal I'd look real hard at options. Do you seriously NEED 2 video cards, running in tandem? Or is it just cool?

400$ for a processor? Uh..

Asus is my fave motherboard company, they support their products.

Gainward, ditto, for graphics cards. They're reliable. And the cards are 'bare bones' versions that run faster than spec.

Crucial makes good memory and a LOT OF MONEY for their shareholders.
There are way cheaper brands that work as well. Every bit as well.

I tend to shop by ratings & what's on sale. Don't buy junk, but don't pay a 30% surcharge for the name on the label, either.

For anything but video edits, ultra high speed drives make little difference, real world. You pay a LOT for a small gain in performance. There's much to be said for drives of identical size, properly partitioned, if bang/buck ratio counts.

The trick in building a comp well, is balance. No one component can make as much difference as the CPU. Tack on all the bells & whistles you want, CPU is the core. Next, video card & ram, and it's a toss up where to emphasize, both are important. THEN hard drive(s) and optical. A GOOD power supply, honest 450-500 watts, for longevity and headroom.. (Enermax, Fortron, Thermaltake, Antec) Case? get a good one. Good for YOUR purposes. how much ego joy do you get out of windows, flashing lights, and wierd streamlined plastic faces? it's a BOX. (oops, i mean, to ME it's a box)..

enjoy..

;)

Washington,D.C.
06-21-2005, 14:28
I've had good dealings with Zip Zoom Fly

http://www.zipzoomfly.com

mitchshrader
06-21-2005, 18:20
gosh, there's a lotta smart folks on this board..

being as i'm a newegg addict, i havn't done business with ZipZoomFly but have heard many good things. from their rep, they are the folks i'd shop with if i Wasn't gonna use NewEgg. ;P

IndyGunFreak
06-21-2005, 19:11
I have had several orders with Tiger Direct over the years(probably 15-20), and have had only 1 minor problem with them a couple years ago, and it was promptly fixed to my satisfaction by the Customer care people.

Now I've neve filed for a rebate from them, as that seems to be the cause of most peoples anger with TD.

IGF

mitchshrader
06-23-2005, 02:29
3 years ago i got their catalog and there was a $69 full tower w. 450 watt power supply.. I tried to buy it. teensy ad, buried 2/3 of the way back.. they were out, so i waited a month & retried.. and they were out..

etc etc.

and this SPRING.. i got a tiger direct catalog.. and guess what?

that same nonexistent $69 full tower w. 450w power was STILL being advertised.

Sorry. I ain't nevah gonna go there.

fool me once.. ;2