Avast firewall? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Avast firewall?

cheaptrick
06-06-2005, 14:19
I've been using the Avast virus protection for awhile, and I like it.

My question is this:
The Avast system comes with a "lightweight" firewall. Is this enough, or should I get more protection?

Thanks. I really like Avast.

Washington,D.C.
06-06-2005, 15:33
I use Avast anti-virus.I'm not aware of any firewall with Avast.If you have a broadband connection you should use a firewall.Zone Alarm has about the best protection.Sygate works well also.If you are only using dial up then the Windows XP firewall is likely enough protection.The most trouble free version of Zone Alarm I've found is this one

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1023_zl/zlsSetup_45_594_000.exe

Ignore the update is available message and disable the check for update function.The newest version will work with most stsyems but the older version I use has worked in everything I've tried it.

cheaptrick
06-06-2005, 16:05
Thanks for the reply. I "thought" that I read that Avast came with some sort of firewall. I looked and can't find where I read that, or maybe confused it with another product. I have been trying out some different products the last few days.

Charter has a firewall/anti virus deal that comes with my high speed connection service, but I seem to like Avast better. I'll check out the Zone Alarm you posted.
Many thanks, and sorry for the wrong intel on the firewall.

fastvfr
06-07-2005, 15:20
Maybe Avast's excellent On-Access Scanner is what you were thinking of.

It can indeed act as a firewall would--I can't change anything inside my DSL modem's firmware unless it is disabled, for instance.