Grrr... Help me troubleshoot my DSL connection? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Grrr... Help me troubleshoot my DSL connection?

OrRonin
06-06-2005, 20:34
I have my computer hooked up to a DSL connection via a ethernet card.

I've been having trouble with it for the last several days. A couple of times an hour, the connection drops out and my computer can't get any email or access any websites.

I get no error messages other than that Outlook can't download email and Internet Explorer can't load the page I"m looking for.

I fiddled around and discovered that if I unplugged the ethernet cable from the modem, waited a few seconds, then plugged it back in, it woudl start working again. Likewise I foudn that if I went to the control panel and slected "Lan Connections" and hit the "repair" button it would start working again.

ANybody have a clue? I don't know how to even begin troubleshooting this. Do I have a hardware problem? Software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pyblood
06-06-2005, 20:42
Have you tried unplugging the power from the DSL modem waiting about 30 seconds and then plugging it back up. I have DSL alos, and every now and then I have to power cycle my modem.

OrRonin
06-06-2005, 20:48
Ok. I'll try that right now.

biblefreak
06-06-2005, 21:37
It could also be a virus.

I once called SBC tech support not long after I got my first DSL line with the same issues. They watched my bandwidth for a while and found it was incredibly high. I was advised to go to Trend Micro's website and run a virus scan that resulted in a virus that was eating up my bandwidth with an enormous amount of packets being broadcast from my PC!!
I let the Trend Micro clean the file, and my problems went away.

BTW that was using Norton that was kept up to date. Got rid of Norton and replaced it with AVG, put a router with a built in firewall and installed a software firewall, STOPPED USING Outlook Express!! (was that clear enough?!), and no more viri from that day forward.

Friends don't put friends in OE address books!

Hope this helps.

Justin

OrRonin
06-06-2005, 23:16
The unplug for thirty seconds thing didn't work.

Trend Micro found nothing. I'm also running AVG and Norton.

Anybody else have any ideas?

I appreciate eveybodies help so far.

pyblood
06-06-2005, 23:28
Do you have SP2 installed? If you do have SP2 do you have an icon in your bottom right corner that says "limited or no connectivity?" I think that itís either the network card or the network cable. Do you have another cable/network card that you can try?

OrRonin
06-07-2005, 13:06
Am using XP with Service Pack 2, all the updates are installed.

I don't get a warning when the connection goes down, my internet just won't work, which I find strange.

Satch
06-07-2005, 14:58
I've got SBC DSL and it worked great for the first year. Then it started running slow, acting like my old dial-up service. I called SBC and they tested my line. Said they couldn't tell where the problem was, so they sent a Tech. over to check it out. He said the phone lines in my house were very noisy. He made the phone jack in my computer room a dedicated DSL jack. That means a phone will not work in that jack, only the computer. That was fine by me as I'm not going to move my computer. The other thing is you get to remove all the other filters from the other phones, fax machines, etc., that get installed during the initial set up. I have had no problems since.

OrRonin
06-07-2005, 17:36
So here's an interesting wrinkle. I've been chatting with a freind on AIM for an hour with nary a problem. It like if I let it sit idle for too long, it drops out.

fastvfr
06-07-2005, 23:14
Open the properties of the NIc and see if it isn't set to "Allow Computer To Shut This Peripheral Off To Conserve Power..."

I'll bet it is...untick and Apply.

Bronson7
06-08-2005, 06:55
I'm not familiar with DSL connections, but running two antivirus programs can cause problems.
Bronson7

nickg
06-08-2005, 09:40
i was having a problem with connections lately. it would either drop the conncection or not connect at all.

after process of elimination and not knowing if it was software/hardware related or on Verizon's end, do you know what it was? it was my phone cable going from the modem to the wall jack. whoda thunk that?

after i replaced the cable i haven't had any connection problems. sometimes it's the LEAST expected thing that could cause the problem.

try replacing that. what have you got to lose?

MikeG22
06-08-2005, 13:58
Originally posted by fastvfr
Open the properties of the NIc and see if it isn't set to "Allow Computer To Shut This Peripheral Off To Conserve Power..."

I'll bet it is...untick and Apply.

+1

The fact that the local repair/ dhcp renew brings it back up tells it's on the computer itself. This should be it. Right click My Network Places, properties. Then properties of the local area connection that you are using. Then edit the properties of the card and then the power options tab.