Anybody use MS Streets & Trips w/GPS ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use MS Streets & Trips w/GPS ?

jlw_84
06-06-2005, 20:53
I travel frequently, and I sometimes involuntarily take the "scenic route" to get where I need to go.

Does anybody have any experiance with Microsofts Streets & Trips w/GPS locator, its apparently mapping software with a GPS unit that plugs into your laptop via USB to show you where your at and etc.

Here's a link to Microsofts page about it. www.microsoft.com/streets/

How well does the GPS unit pick up when I'm cruising 75 down the highway (passenger will be operating laptop obviously), or what about when I'm in the urban jungle of downtown, or in the hills of Tennesee?

Reviews? Comments? Etc?

pyblood
06-06-2005, 22:38
One of my co-workers has the Delorme Earthmate with Street Atlas 2004, and he loves it.

http://delorme.com/earthmate/default.asp

Michael Dean
06-07-2005, 07:34
While I have never used the Microsoft Streets and Trips software specifically, I have used other mapping programs and GPS receivers many times.

Most any current model of GPS receiver should perform satisfactorily. I don't know of any current models that are less than 12 channels. Some of the older ones had fewer channels and could lose the satellite lock when in the urban jungles or a heavily wooded area. It will work fine on the highway, and will even show your speed, direction of travel, elevation, etc. while driving.

There are also GPS receivers with a map display on the unit, that are worth taking a look at.

Good luck

Glock Bob
06-07-2005, 10:10
I got it for Christmas and use it all the time. Most of the time I use it to map out fun routes, find the quickest route somewhere, or just figure out how to get somewhere or where that place is. However, I have used it a couple of times in the car on my fiance's laptop. All I can say is that it is nearly dead-on in accuracy and very easy to use. The GPS reciever itself is about 1.5x1.5 inches and connects via a USB cable. I've found that hanging it over the rearview mirror post is the best location, and it keeps it from sliding off the dash. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help you out.