Anyone ever use Tire Rack? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use Tire Rack?

GoGators
06-06-2005, 21:17
Seems like a good idea to me, one has access to a great variety of tires. Are you paying a lot extra for the privilege though?

Ramtuff
06-06-2005, 22:06
I have a friend who used them before. He really didn't save any money though to make it worth it, IMO. Sure the tires were cheaper, but then he had to pay shipping, and still pay for a local shop to mount them. I like to use Tire Rack to check out the tires and read reviews, but that's about it. I take their prices plus shipping and then call the local shops for comparisons...they're usually pretty close to each other.

Another option you might want to consider is checking on E-bay for tires. Narrow your choices down to a couple different tires, then check on there for them. I've saved a lot of money doing that. For example, I bought tires for my truck about 6 months ago off of E-bay. They had 95% tread life left, and after paying for shipping and having them mounted, I saved about $250.

Rob1035
06-07-2005, 05:08
Like was said above, its a good place to shop, since they have a big selection of tires, wheels, and such. If you dont have any decent tire places near you, its a good option.

If you're lucky, you have a friend who hass a tirerack business account and will help you out on pricing.

fnfalman
06-07-2005, 09:21
The best thing about Tire Rack is their selection. Also, they have some sort of cooperation with local tire shops who would receive tires from them and mount for you. Of course mounting fees varied. If you have a good local shop that doesn't rape you on the mounting fees, then the savings would be considerable. If not, then the savings wouldn't be much.

I once calculated out the cost of getting my tires from Tire Rack and have a local guy mounted versus getting my tires from Sears and have them mounted and I think that the saving was negligible.

GoGators
06-07-2005, 12:51
OK cool that's about what I thought. As long as I'm not paying too much more, I'd rather have the tires that I want rather than what the shop has in stock.

Ramtuff
06-07-2005, 15:09
Originally posted by GoGators
OK cool that's about what I thought. As long as I'm not paying too much more, I'd rather have the tires that I want rather than what the shop has in stock.

Most shops will order in whatever tires you want for no extra fee.

vart
06-07-2005, 18:56
I used them because in the middle of Nowhere, Iowa I couldn't find tires for my wife's SUV; 245/65/17. The local GoodYear was more than happy to order me a set of their crappy Wranglers; at $185 each;P .
I bought a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATs for $100 each and have been very, very happy with them;) .