WXP and ZoneAlarm problem..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WXP and ZoneAlarm problem.....

DonL
06-07-2005, 02:42
I'm running WXPPro with Firefox and ZoneAlarm Pro and have tried free version also. What is happening is when I boot up box I have no problems browsing the web. If I shutdown browser or not and let computer sit for 1hr or longer, I can't browse web unless I restart ZoneAlarm. I'm allowing Generic Host Process for Win32 Services through along with Firefox and not allowing Spooler SubSystem App....Does anyone have an idea whats going on here??

Washington,D.C.
06-07-2005, 02:51
When I shutdown Firefox I have to press Alt+Ctrl+Delete and shutdown Firefox coompletely to restart.This is a common problem with the last two releases of Firefox.I'm not sure about the Zone Alarm effect.With Zone Alarm you should make sure that Windows XP firewall is switched off.In Zone Alarm allow Firefox to act as a server.if all else fails,download and install Mozilla 1.7.8 http://majorgeeks.com/Mozilla_d556.html

Then uninstall Firefox or leave it if you like.This has been my fix for the recent "security" upgrades to Firefox.The latest Mozilla has the same security upgrades without the problems.

DonL
06-07-2005, 11:25
Thanks for the info....Any idea why the Generic Host Process and Spooler SubSystem need access to internet?

fastvfr
06-07-2005, 15:27
They do not NEED access at all...

They are, effectively, MS spyware. GHP is sending details of your mp3 collection and any Searches you have done in the Start menu back to Redmond.

SSS is sending other info, including DRM and copyright info, as well as HDD snapshots detailing all installed apps, to the same location.

I always lock them down tight even though I have paid for all my software. I don't feel the need to allow Big Brother BillG to look over my equipment just because he wants to.

DonL
06-08-2005, 03:45
If I block GHP from trusted zone I cannot browse net. Check out pic of firewalled programs. Thanks for any comments you post.

fastvfr
06-08-2005, 08:53
Isn't Winblows grand?

This is one reason why I do not run a software firewall.

Routers and HW firewalls are our friends.

Looks like GHP is telling ZA that if it cannot 'escape', XP is not going to allow the opening of ANY communication ports.

Bummer.

Got DSL? Try a router with NAT stateful packet filtering instead of ZA. And you might try the 1.7.5 Mozilla Suite rather than Ff.

BTW, if you are on dialup, there is no real need for a firewall.

Washington,D.C.
06-08-2005, 11:03
It's part of the OS, but it's not OK. If you are not on a network and if your ISP doesn't require it because of proprietary software, there are a lot of things in Services that you can disable that do not need to connect and in doing so, Generic Host Process will not need to connect. You may not have all of these in Services. It depends on the version of XP you have installed.

DHCP Client
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Distributed Transaction Coordinator
DNS Client
Help and Support (security hole)
Internet Connection Firewall (You're using ZA, you don't need the built in one. It only blocks incoming transmissions anyway.)
IPSEC Services
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing (security hole)
Network Connections (set to Manual)
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Network Location Awareness
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Remote Access Connection Manager (set to Manual)
Remote Registry
Routing and Remote Access
SSDP Discovery Service
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (security hole)
Telnet (big security hole)
Terminal Services
Universal Plug and Play Device Host (huge security hole)
Upload Manager
Web Client
Windows Time
WMI Performance Adapter

All these either are connecting or have the ability to connect to the internet and none of them are usually needed. Disable them one at a time and check your internet access. After you have disabled all you can (depends on what your ISP requires for connection) remove the Generic Host entry from ZA and connect to the internet. It should not demand access again. If it does ZA will report it. But if you do have to let it connect, do not give it server rights.

Also go into your User accounts and delete the 2 accounts that MS sets up by default and does not tell you about. Leave your account(s).

Washington,D.C.
06-08-2005, 11:04
If on boot up you get pop up asking if you want Spooler SubSystem App to access the internet, this is your printer trying to check your network for local network printers.

"Network Printers" are a new type of printer that plug directly into the network, instead of plugging into a computer.

If you have a network printer, just tell your firewall to let it pass. Otherwise, just tell it to never let it pass.

DonL
06-08-2005, 11:50
If I could do without Winblows I would....Going to check out Fedora Core4 as soon as its released. I'm behind a D-Link router with wifi. I'm wired in and have MAC filtering set up, is this enough protection to get rid of ZA?? I'm still having problem lossing connection unless I restart ZA. I just installed Mozilla...see if that solves the problem. I'm on Cox cable.

DonL
06-10-2005, 02:34
Thanks abunch WDC, stopped alot of services and everything seems good now...Went to work, came home and got on web with no ZA restart. Ben looking at D-Link manual but it doesn't explain in detail how to set up firewall, can you or anyone help?...check out pics...Thanks again, man.

mitchshrader
06-21-2005, 10:56
Privacy isn't easily attained these days, and one of the big problems is upgrade fever.

Newer isn't always BETTER.

For them as has privacy versus reliability concerns, there are no general answers, the questions are too varied, BUT.. I got happy a long time ago with XenTweak. It nails down a batch of stuff, default, that wants to "call home" if you don't tell it otherwise.

It also disables (if you desire) various default settings that run from irrelevant to annoying and performance inhibiting.

Whether you use that particular utility or not, it's a good rule of thumb to avoid upgrades unless YOU know why you're unhappy with your current version. For several years at least, there's been a 'silent conspiracy' (not really, just a bunch of beancounters that think alike) to remove control of your machine from YOU and give it to whoever out there figures you for a cash cow. Tisn't paranoia to realize that if you don't protect your privacy, no one ELSE will.

When your printer, keyboard, and mouse all want to 'call home'.. it's high time to lock it down.

Like the hat? It's the very BEST aluminum foil, 100% Reynolds wrap!

;z