Sharing wireless net connection...problem please help :) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sharing wireless net connection...problem please help :)

RaiderRodney
06-07-2005, 09:30
Ok gurus, I need some help yet again. I have a local wireless internet company and I share the connection on my 2 pc's. The problem I am having is whenever I am playing online and my son gets on the other and starts playing I lose my connection. I don't lose the link, just my game connection.

Any ideas what could be causing this because it is getting old very quick :( I use AVG, spybot, and ad-aware and keep them updated. I have run full scans on both and tested...still lose connection to my game. I even went and downloaded and installed the microsoft version and scanned.

My ISP thought it may be spyware or ad-ware which made sense to me...but now I dunno after full scans and still happening.

Please help :)

Oh, one other thing...the wireless is routed at the antenna I recieve from so I just went and got me a good switch hoping that me routing 2 times was the problem...nope...any suggestions???

pyblood
06-07-2005, 09:38
I don't think that both you and your son will be able to play the same game at the same time, because you both are playing from the same IP address. You may be able to play the same game on different servers, but I donít think that you can play on the same server.

RaiderRodney
06-07-2005, 09:43
Forgot to include that it is a different game as well.

pyblood
06-07-2005, 10:16
Are you still able to visit websites and check email when he is online also?

RaiderRodney
06-07-2005, 11:12
Yes, I can surf check email or vice versa...my game just will not stay connected :( No problems with getting disconnected as long as that computer isn't online.

fastvfr
06-07-2005, 15:33
Some possibilities:

1. Firewall issues: does the other PC have a firewall installed?

2. IP Addy Conflicts--are the machines being addressed via DHCP or are the addies hard-coded? If not, make your machine 192.168.0.1 and make his 192.168.0.2, with 255.255.255.0 for both subnets.

3. Is the game installed on both machines with the same Product Key? If so, the server is probably booting you due to piracy concerns. What game is it?

Your problems will likely disappear if you route the Internet through your machine, then out through a 2nd NIC and into his PC. Yours will need to be online for him to get connected but that will make yours into a Gateway Node which will keep his from messing up your game, unless #3 is the problem.

Let us know what happens!