VPN or remote access though Cox Cable? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : VPN or remote access though Cox Cable?

Cryptoboy
06-08-2005, 09:52
I was trying to find a few methods on how to do this, but haven't been very successful.

I have Cox cable, with the standard cable modem and have a Netgear MR814 wireless router (with 4 port 10/100 switch). I'm trying to find a way to be able to log into one of my desktops at home (they are all hardwired into the network), from work. The router I have isn't one of the VPN ones, so I don't think I can set it up that way. I think I can open up a port in the router (using the port forwarding portion), I was just looking for a little more detail on how I would accomplish this. Or, another method that would work.

Thanks!

d0truji
06-08-2005, 12:36

MikeG22
06-08-2005, 13:53
If you have XP you can use remote desktop connection which is built in and easy to use. Right click My Computer, Remote, and put a check in Allow Users to Connect remotly. Make sure your user accounts on the machine all have passwords.

Now, forward port 3389 tcp to the IP address of the computer you want to connect to.

From the outside work machine or whatever if it is XP just go to start, programs, accessories, comunications, remote desktop connection. Enter in the external IP of your home computer and say connect. Enter your login/password and you should be good. If it's 2000 then you can go to microsofts website and search for remote desktop connection download and install that and you'll be good to go.

Now, your external IP will change occasionally. Hopefully your router has the ability to update a dyndns record. Go to dyndns.org and register one of their free dynamic dns domains. Put in the current outside IP address. You can now get to it using a name instead of the numerical IP such as cryptoboy.homeip.net or whatever. If the router supports updating the dyndns record you are stoked and just need to put in your username and password and domain and it should update dyndns whenever your outside IP changes so you will always be able to get in using your domain name. If the router doesn't have the feature built in you can check for an updated firmware for it that might include the feature, or there are a number of software clients that you can freely download from the dyndns.org site that can update it. Or you can just manually update it when you notice it changes.

Oh, also make sure the computer on the inside you want to get to either has it's IP address reserved in DHCP or have it set staticly so that it doesn't change on you.

woettinger
06-10-2005, 18:24
Originally posted by Cryptoboy
I was trying to find a few methods on how to do this, but haven't been very successful.

I have Cox cable, with the standard cable modem and have a Netgear MR814 wireless router (with 4 port 10/100 switch). I'm trying to find a way to be able to log into one of my desktops at home (they are all hardwired into the network), from work. The router I have isn't one of the VPN ones, so I don't think I can set it up that way. I think I can open up a port in the router (using the port forwarding portion), I was just looking for a little more detail on how I would accomplish this. Or, another method that would work.

Thanks!

If you want to VPN then you have to have TCP 1723 and UDP 500 opened on your firewall at home and work.

If you want to use a remote desktop feature you need to port forward whatever port the application uses to the computer you want to control.

berniew
06-11-2005, 11:14
http://www.mywebexpc.com/index.php

frefoo
06-11-2005, 12:35
Other people have pointed out that you need to open up the ports in your firewall to get it to work.

One other thing that I did was to register a domain name with a Dynamic DNS provider so when my IP address changes (Cox cable use's DHCP). The Domain name automatically changes to the new IP address. It does not change often but when it does I am stuck until I get back home.

Using DDNS I never need to know my current IP at home. Useful when I am traveling/not at home.