Upgrade Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Questions

RaiderRodney
06-09-2005, 11:32
First off, I have learned so much from all you on this board. This is my favorite tech board!

I have decided to upgrade and want to build my first PC, woohoo.

I have good cd drives, hard drives, and graphics card. I'm leaning towards the 775 socket pentiums...probably the 3.0ghz, 800fsb, 2mb cache.

Motherboards...I like ASUS. I like the looks of the P5P800, only thing I don't like is it doesn't seem to have any RAID options.

Memory...leaning towards 2 - 512 sticks of Crucial Balistix PC4000 DDR.

Case...the Rosewill TU-155 with a 400w PS ( I am optimistic about the PS, all reviews say it is pretty good...but I dunno)

Any suggestions or comments? Should I be looking at another type of pentium or is the 775 sockets best now? Better motherboards, etc?

thanks for all the help!!

pyblood
06-09-2005, 20:51
You made a good choice with the motherboard manufacturer. ASUS is a good company.

I am not trying to discourage you from buying an Intel based PC, but if you are going to be gaming, I canít help but recommend a Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 CPU. They are cheaper than P4s and they perform just as good/better than P4s. Another thing is that AMD usually doesnít require buying anther motherboard when they come out with a new CPU. A simple bios update is that you may need. I am not dogging Intel out, because I have several Intel based PCs, but I just donít like that a new board is required in order to run their newer CPUs.

I would not use a Rosewill power supply. I would recommend a company like Antec, Enermax, Thermaltake, OCZ, etc. I just donít believe that a $53 case has a good power supply. Using a cheap/inadequate power supply can damage your hardware and create Windows blue screens of death. In other works, if you plan on purchasing that case, I would definitely buy a good/solid power supply. Have you take a look at other manufactures like Thermaltake, Antec, and Cooler Master. They make some pretty good cases. I have a Thermaltake Tsunami, and I love it. Itís not an inexpensive as that Rosewill, but itís one of the most well constructed cases that I have ever seen. The Antec Sonata is another good case (I got one of those too), and it includes a 380-Watt Antec TruePower power supply that should be sufficient for your needs. I know that itís a rock solid case/power supply because it runs my PC in my living room. I have a P4 CPU on a P4C800-E Deluxe board. I have 5 hard drives (2-80GB SATA on RAID 0, a 120GB SATA, a 160GB IDE, and an 80GB SATA), 2 optical drives (DVD burner and combo drive), and an ATI All-In, Wonder 9600. The computer/case/power supply is whisper quite.

Just out of curiosity, why are you choosing PC4000 DDR? Are you planning on overclocking your CPU?

I wouldnít worry about the RAID because not a lot of newer motherboards have IDE raid. They have SATA RAID, but not IDE. You can always buy a PCI IDE RAID controller card, and supports IDE hard drives and has support for RAID 0/1/JBOD.

What about sound? Are you going to use the onboard sound or do you already have a sound card?

RaiderRodney
06-10-2005, 08:56
Thanks for the suggestions ;)

I am also weary of the case PS. I have a sound blaster audigy to put in it. And of coarse I will overclock it ;f