sendmail virus scanning gateway [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : sendmail virus scanning gateway

grantglock
06-09-2005, 21:51
does anyone here use sendmail to accept mail for a domain, check for viruses then send the mail to another box for local delivery?

I have amavis set up but i'm getting the mail loops back to self error.

unixguy
06-11-2005, 23:03
I do use sendmail as you described, but not with amavis. I've got a clamav milter and a spamassassin milter. With my setup, I had to enable the mailertable feature and create a file that instructs sendmail what local machine to send email to.

(external dns points to my mail scanner as the most preferred mx, so I've got to tell sendmail to basically ignore dns now and send it somewhere else.)

Could that be the problem that you're having?

Another option would be to have the most preferred MX point to your internal machine, but have firewall rules that keep external machines from connecting to it. They'll then try your next most preferred MX, which would be your mail scanner.

hope this helps

grantglock
06-13-2005, 07:33
i edited the mailertable and now it delivers mail fine, its not scanning mail but thats a problem with my sendmail config, i need to do some more homework on milter, its compiled with milter support but for some reason is not calling the virus scanner, at least i got the delivery down.

HerrGlock
06-13-2005, 08:01
I use postfix so I can put a lot of the "reject DHCP email", "reject RLBH email" etc. Then it forwards it to the actual domains.

Sometimes virus checkers require sendmail to listen on something like port 26 and the virus checker listens on 25 then forwards it to localhost:26. I have no idea if that's how yours is supposed to set up or not but it's something to check.

grantglock
06-13-2005, 10:50
i got it to work using clamav. sweet.