can't get internet connection [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : can't get internet connection

ALLAN
06-10-2005, 20:32
I am trying to set up connection on my computer. I run the dsl disk and have evrything hooked up correctly(i think). I keep getting the message that the modem is not detected.
I know it works because it works with my laptop.
Any ideas on what I can try??

pyblood
06-10-2005, 21:45
How are you hooking up the DSL? Through a Cat5 cable or through USB? What brand modem do you have. Who’s your ISP?

Go to your device manager (right click on my computer and choose properties. Then click on hardware.) See if you have any hardware that has a question mark or an exclamation point. Make sure to take a look at “network adapters & modems”

If you are running XP, try to repair your connection. Right click on “My Network Places” and choose properties. Then right click on “Local Area Connection” and choose “repair.”

Is your PC virus/spyware free?

Soujurn
06-10-2005, 23:27
Sometimes it helps to unplug your modem from the power supply, not the cat5 cable to the 'puter, for a minute and then plug it back in.
Usually works.

Glock Bob
06-11-2005, 00:56
Originally posted by Soujurn
Sometimes it helps to unplug your modem from the power supply, not the cat5 cable to the 'puter, for a minute and then plug it back in.
Usually works.

I was having a similar problem with my cable modem and that fixed it.

fastvfr
06-11-2005, 20:10
Yep. Cheap modems require frequent power cycling.

Also make sure that there are no USB power-saving features holding the USB Hardware Detection back. That is somewhat common in laptops.

Maybe try attaching it via Ethernet to see if that works?