Scam attempt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scam attempt?

JCM298
06-10-2005, 22:22
I just got this e-mail via E-Promter. I have not opened it nor have I gone to the links in the e-mail. Does this sound like a scam?

Thanks,

John

subj: New Update to fix Windows File Errors
Date: 6/10/2005 2:35:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time
----------------------------------------------------------------
<><><><>
Hello, we apologize for contacting you at this time, but we wanted to inform you of a new update scan that we recommend you download in order to protect your PC from file errors located in your windows registry. There is no obligation and no cost in order to run this scan.

You can download this complete PC fixing software for no cost at all by pressing here.

This is very important because file errors can cause your PC to crash, cause it to run very slowly, lose important and valuable memory, and can even cause other software on your PC to fail or uninstall without your knowledge.

We would like to help you protect your PC from annoying and harmful File Errors and Major System Problems today with a FREE PC scan and report which will hunt out & rectify even the smallest Windows problems on your PC.

Press below to launch the Error Nuker scan:
Press Here

If after completing the scan it is brought to your attention that your computer's registry does contain file "errors", then it may be in your computer's best interest to fix the potentially harmful file errors in your registry.

Once again, there are NO OBLIGATIONS for this OFFER that includes a FREE Analysis, FREE Report and 24 Hour Support !

Press below to launch the scan now:
Press Here

Copyright (c) 2002 - 2004 All Rights Reserved

To not receive future offers/promotions from "Error Nuker" please press on the below link:
Visit Here

Or send us a letter at:
100 E. San Marcos Blvd.
San Marcos, CA 92069

Soujurn
06-10-2005, 23:24
I'd ignore it and delete it.

Washington,D.C.
06-11-2005, 01:24
DELETE IT!

NetNinja
06-11-2005, 02:00
Anytime you get an unsolicited email from someone you dont know, you delete it.

JCM298
06-11-2005, 08:10
It's been deleted and I never tried to open it. I was just curious to see if anybody had heard of this.

Thanks for the replies,

John

fastvfr
06-11-2005, 20:09
Even some so-called spyware removal apps which are offered openly are malware-filled trash.

This is an even sleazier version of the same sort of dreck.

Toyman
06-13-2005, 06:58
If you didn't open it, how did you read it and copy it's text?

JCM298
06-13-2005, 17:06
Toyman,

I used the wrong terminology. Using E-promter, I can read the e-mail before it goes to my e-mail account. What I meant to say was I did not go to the web sites that were in the e-mail,

John