Putting up an antenna [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Putting up an antenna

Historian
06-11-2005, 09:25
Ok it's time to get that antenna up and running but I just can't figure out how we're going to do it.

I wanna be able to run on 440-2 meters and 10-160. With 2 to 10 meters being the most important for me.

But I live in a single story house with a restriction on antennas. This is a modern house with little space in the attic.

Any ideas on how to do this?

uhlawpup
06-11-2005, 14:40
Define "little space in the attic..."

I operated on 20, 15, 10, 2 and .7 meters by using dipoles on the hf bands and a 19" ground plane on 2 and .7...all in the attic of a tiny patio home with antenna restrictions.

You'd be surprised how well a homebrew dipole and ground plane will do.

And this was in the 80s!!

With today's sensitive receivers, you should be able to be heard around the world with such a setup, band conditions, sunspots and QRM permitting.

Get your wire cutters and soldering iron out. Have fun!

Let me know if I can provide any information.

greenlead
06-17-2005, 03:11
A rollable j-pole would make for a quick and discrete antenna, if one is needed.

uhlawpup
06-17-2005, 07:10
Actually, the rollup j is what I use in my office. I made it from plans published by the Dallas Amateur Radio Club many, many years ago.

Those instructions should be available on the web somewhere...

Historian
06-17-2005, 21:05
Sorry about the delay in my responce. Thank you very much for putting some ideas out there for my antenna situation. Antennas seem to be the almost an art instead of a science. There are volumes to read about.

Here's the story. My attic is a pretty new design full of blown in insulation. The rafters are placed in such a way as to provide a very stable roof but very little crawl space.

It is possible to mount an Indiana Jones style mission and place a single wire from west to east and it would be about 20 ft. off the ground. But I think it would be about 30 ft in length.

There is a tree to the side of the house that goes up well over 150 ft. I was thinking of running half dipole verticle up there. But I think I would need a tuner to get more bands out of the radio.

Im afraid I don't know much about the j-poles.

About 15 years ago I lived in a house that had a gigantic attic that was perfect for a large scale antenna. I bet we could have put in a multi-element yagi in it. :)