advice on buying a guitar [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : advice on buying a guitar

kimo
06-13-2005, 07:54
I currently own a Epiphone John Lennon signature acoustic.

I am interested in purchasing an electric. I am new player with hands that are thick with muscular fingers. Hence, it is difficult to span 2 empty let alone three frets in chording. I heard that electrics are easier to chord since you don't have to press so hard on the strings and that the necks tend to be much thinner or narrower.

First, is this true?

Next, what would be the best starter in electric (I already have an amplifier)

I am looking at an Epiphone Les Paul classic quilt top and a Epiphone Les Paul Black beauty. I have also looked at Gretsch (hollow body). I intend to spend between $400 and $600 since I know that cheap ones are just a waste.

What do you think?

FoxMustang
06-13-2005, 14:57
You're right, it's generally easier to fret on an electric. In my experience the action of acoustic guitars is higher, and with no amplification you really have to fret the strings well to get the notes to ring.

For a starter guitar, it's hard to say what's "best" since tone and feel are so very subjective. What sort of music do you play? I'm not familiar with the specific models you mentioned so I can't comment on them, but if you have a short finger reach then something with a relatively small neck scale (like a Les Paul) might help. LPs usually run 24.75" scale, while the "normal" scale length is 25.5" (the de facto standard thanks to Fender). The shorter scale length moves the frets closer together and the strings will be looser.

Speaking of Fender, a Strat is a good choice if you're into blues or country or rock-and-roll. Not as good for metal or really heavy rock (it can be done, but something like an Ibanez is more suited to that). You can get one with a bridge humbucker (a fat Strat), and that's a pretty versatile guitar.

Bullwinkle J Moose
06-13-2005, 19:33
Originally posted by FoxMustang
Speaking of Fender, a Strat is a good choice if you're into blues or country or rock-and-roll. Not as good for metal or really heavy rock ...
Hendrix, who sold more strats than anyone else, is rolling over in his grave. ;) Blackmore, Malmsteen and Trower also did/do some heavy stuff with strats. While admittedly I'm biased, I'd venture to say that strats are one of the most versatile electrics. They are at home in about any musical style.

Kimo, if you are getting an electric just because it's easier to play, you might try stringing lighter gage strings on your Epi if you haven't already. That'll make it play a little easier.

FoxMustang
06-13-2005, 20:04
Originally posted by Bullwinkle J Moose
Hendrix, who sold more strats than anyone else, is rolling over in his grave. ;) Blackmore, Malmsteen and Trower also did/do some heavy stuff with strats. While admittedly I'm biased, I'd venture to say that strats are one of the most versatile electrics. They are at home in about any musical style.
Allow me to rephrase :) When I said they "not as good for heavy rock" I was thinking more like thrash or death metal type stuff. Not that a Strat couldn't do the job, it just seems like other guitars are more suited to it based on what I see those bands using.

But I guess it's all personal preference anyway, and I'd rather have two humbuckers (I don't have much use for single-coil sound) :) That said, I do agree that the Strat is one of the most versatile guitars out there.

Hobear
06-13-2005, 23:26
Ditto that, the Strat is a GREAT all around guitar. With the 5 way pickup selection you have a lot of variety, you can always put some hot pickups in it if you want to experiment with different sounds. Les Pauls are great, SG's are great, I think the Tele has a great sound. Go to a music store and play around with different guitars and see what you like.

reconvic
06-14-2005, 13:34
I feel it depends on your plans are and style of music you play.
I own 5 Guitars 4 Electric from a custom Washburn,Satch's Siggy,a 1979 Les Paul custom, as well as a Jackson Warrior. My recording guitar is my Les Paul, on stage I use Satch's and the Washburn, The Jackson is played at outdoor gigs. So I think you need to buy a guitar that you like the sound of and can affordable also.
Have fun looking:)

.22 boy
06-14-2005, 19:59
What type of music do you like to play? That is a big factor when buying a guitar.

If you like metal try Jackson's, Ibanez's, and ESP's

For lite rock try a Fender Strat, Epiphone SG,

For Jazz, Blues, try some Gretsch's, and some hollow bodyed LP's and a telecastor.

Glockerel
06-15-2005, 03:09
Restring your acoustic with lighter gauge strings. I've always told my students to learn on an acoustic in order to be able to distinguish tones and nuances of your guitar. Having then decided that this is something you really want to stick with, go ahead and get an electric.
Just my .02

Hobear
06-15-2005, 08:48
I guess it's analgous to buying a car. There's a bazillion different models out there, it depends on what features you want and how much money you want to spend. While certain guitars do lend themselves to certain types of music, there are no rules and you can play anything on anything. I would suggest that you give a strat a good look/listen.

Hey Glockerel, I just noticed your sig line. Have you ever heard of Bela FLeck? Pheonominal banjo player, a real virtuoso and his band has one of the best bass players you'll ever hear.

84S
06-15-2005, 21:31
There are a lot of choices when looking for an electric guitar. One of the best values and great players available is a Mexican made Strat or Tele. I have a Mexican Telecaster and I love it. The amp you choose may end up being the more important choice anyway. I started with a cheapo Crate and immediately wanted something better and that was when I was playing an old Ibanez Artist solid body. When I sold that boat anchor of a guitar, I got an old Fender Champ, it's all tube and fun but...... I'll soon be dumping the Fender amp and will get a VOX AD120VT 120watt combo that sounds great on its own, but also has modeling features that will leave you dizzy with the choices in sounds it can model. And yes, my $350 Mexican Tele will still be my guitar of choice. Rock, jazz, funk, blues, to country, the Telecaster can do it all. It may not be the guitar of choice for modern day Heavy Metal, but it was good enough for Jimmy Page for that early Led Zeppelin sound. Which is more my style anyway.