Fedora Core 4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 4

aspartz
06-13-2005, 21:51
I see that fedora core 4 has been released. BitTorrenting even as we speak.

ARS

bohr
06-13-2005, 23:01
I got it this morning. Had problems with udev and a kernel panic on a fresh imstall for one box. Another box had sendmail troubles on boot up, but that was fixed with a a /etc/rc3.d edit. Andyet another box was flawless. Strange, but I guess that is the nix world.

I was shocked that I actually was able to get it without having to download at 5 Kb/s. Fedora is really nice!!!

David_G17
06-14-2005, 12:59
does anyone know what the major improvements are from FC3 to FC4?

Washington,D.C.
06-14-2005, 13:12
Originally posted by David_G17
does anyone know what the major improvements are from FC3 to FC4?

1.1. New in Fedora Core 4

Fedora Core 4 is the latest version of the free and popular Fedora Core platform with a number of unique features and significant improvements over previous versions. This section provides an overview of the major highlights in this release.

Desktop Enhancements — The Fedora desktop brings to you the latest software such as GNOME 2.10 and KDE 3.4 with a new look and feel. GNOME has the new simple and elegant Clearlooks default theme that is inspired by the classic Red Hat Bluecurve theme.

[D]

Improved Productivity
o

Evince (http://www.gnome.org/projects/evince/) is a document viewer for multiple document formats such as pdf, postscript, and many others. Evince replaces a whole category of document viewers with a single simple application.
o

OpenOffice.org 2.0 (http://www.openoffice.org/product2/index.php) is an office productivity suite. This latest version includes several enhancements such as improved Microsoft Office compatibility, completely revamped Impress presentation software, and native support for the OpenDocument format. This version also introduces Base, a fully integrated database management software. You can find the extensive list of new features at http://marketing.openoffice.org/2.0/featureguide.html.
o

Eclipse 3.1 is an open and extensible platform and Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that can be used to develop software in any language.

Support for PowerPC (PPC) Architecture — Refer to Section 3.4, “PPC Hardware Requirements” and Section 5.1, “PPC Installation Notes”.

Improved Security — SELinux is a security architecture that protects applications and uses through finely grained security controls. The targeted policy that has been active since Fedora Core 3 has been improved to cover dozens of more daemons. You can read more in the technical release notes Section 4, “Overview of This Release”.

Integrated Clustering Technology — Global File System (GFS) is an open source clustering file system that allows a cluster of Linux servers to share a common storage pool. Fedora Core 4 has integrated GFS within the system to manage your storage in an efficient way. You can read more at http://www.redhat.com/software/rha/gfs/.

Built-in Virtualization — Xen is a virtual machine that can securely run multiple operating systems in their own sandboxed domains. Xen has been integrated into Fedora Core to work in a seamless fashion. You can read more about Xen at http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/virtualization/.

Solid Platform — Fedora Core 4 includes and integrates the latest 4.0 version of GNU Compiler Collection which has a rewritten optimisation infrastructure and improved support for a native Free Java software stack. This includes parts of OpenOffice.org 2.0., Eclipse, and Apache Jakarta, among others.

aspartz
06-14-2005, 14:21
FWIW --

Still downloading. Even w/ BitTorrent it's a monster. No electricity last night kinda slowed things down.

From the release notes, I'm not sure how urgent my need to upgrade is, except of course -- IT'S NEW!!! IT MUST BE BETTER!!!!!

ARS

aspartz
06-14-2005, 14:30
FWIW --

Still downloading. Even w/ BitTorrent it's a monster. No electricity last night kinda slowed things down.

From the release notes, I'm not sure how urgent my need to upgrade is, except of course -- IT'S NEW!!! IT MUST BE BETTER!!!!!

ARS

bohr
06-14-2005, 18:00
For the "everyday user" there isn't much of a difference. It is new, but there will be problems.

aspartz: who are you downloading from that is taking so long? Are you on a mirror site?

aspartz
06-14-2005, 18:22
Originally posted by bohr
For the "everyday user" there isn't much of a difference. It is new, but there will be problems.

aspartz: who are you downloading from that is taking so long? Are you on a mirror site?

I grabbed the URL for BT from the main FC$ page. I never looked for mirrors -- it's all here now :)

ARS

bohr
06-14-2005, 19:06
Let me/us know if you encounter any problems. I am curious because some boxes like FC4 and some don't. I had to do a fresh install of FC3 and then upgrade to FC4 to get it to work. Strange

Washington,D.C.
06-14-2005, 20:41
It may not be reconizing your partitions.Sometimes you must partition the drive,then reboot the PC.That's fairly common.other will have hardware problems which are much more difficult.

aspartz
06-15-2005, 00:40
Installed (fresh)

All seems well. I forgot to backup some system stuff -- like how to make the back/forward buttons on my intellimouse work, but other than that no issues.

Asus p4s333
p4/1800
1GB

ARS

tous
06-15-2005, 02:41
Had an odd problem. I nabbed the .iso files from a mirror and they all checked out with sha1sum. Burned them with Fedroa Core 3 file manager to a CD-RW drive and ....

Every disk had errors. :(

Moved the files to my Windows machine, burned the CDs using NERO on a DVD-R drive and voila!

Houston, we have Core 4. ;a And four dandy pistol targets.