Windows XP Update CD After SP1? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Update CD After SP1?

Gino
06-14-2005, 15:40
This REALLY sucks! I have to redo my operating system, it got currupted while installing software/hardware that wasn't "Windows Certified".

Now, here's the problem: I only have a Windows XP SP1 CD. If I just reinstall it, it's going to take DAYS to update SP2 and all the updates leading up to that. I have dialup :(

So, for $100 I can buy a new Windows XP CD with SP2, or I can take a couple of days to download all the updates. Microsoft used to offer an update disk, they don't any more!

Anyone have one of the update disks they can copy for me?

There has to be a big demand for this disk, why doesn't anyone offer it? I called all over and everyone was surprised to even hear the idea.

MIcrosoft REALLY sucks!

Edited to Add: Okay, one place on the Microsoft Website says they don't offer the XP Update CD any more. However, I did find a place to order the SP2 CD. So I ordered it. It will only take 4-6 weeks. :(
I wonder why none of the computer stores have this CD in stock?

Washington,D.C.
06-14-2005, 15:49
I have both a copy of the SP2 CD and the SP2 update file.It doesn't have to be the CD version and you can still download the update file if you have broadband.I found the CD version on a university server and downloaded it to my hard drive.I can make CD's from it.Are you using dial up?

Generalcarry
06-14-2005, 15:51
I just installed SP 2 last week. I downloaded off the internet. I HAVE the SP 2 on CD. I got it last year (?) when it 1st came out, but I never used it. You can have it but.... in that I sent for it when it 1st came out, wouldn't it have all the origional bugs? How could you tell if the CD you get is the new one with all the patches?

Washington,D.C.
06-14-2005, 15:56
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Gino
06-14-2005, 16:14
Okay, I guess I'm a little calmer now. I realize that all I'm going to have to do is download SP2 using Update. I was thinking I would have to download all the updates leading up to SP2, and SP2 itself. It should only take overnight to download that using dialup.

But why doesn't every computer store have the SP2 CD in stock? Shouldn't Microsoft have made a million of them and sent them out to all the retailers? I'd have paid $5-$10 for it.

Another thing, Windows has a utility that will fix Windows for you if it gets currupted. However, this doesn't work if you have the older XP with SP1.

I guess that I'm upset cause this is one more example of Microsoft not looking out for their customers, and the computer stores not looking forward to see their customers potential needs.

Thanks for letting me rant,
Gino

Washington,D.C.
06-14-2005, 16:21
The fix with an older CD is funny but it exist.You can make the 6 floppies but you really only need to choose a reinstall instead of a repair than the next screen will give you the choice again.The secret is knowing not to try a repair from CD until the second screen.It's a bit tricky but it works.It warns you that it will overwrite the OS but it doesn't and all your files are saved.

Washington,D.C.
06-14-2005, 17:00
Not the CD version but just as good is this update file

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/microsoft/patches/winxp/sp2/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

It might take a bit of time over a dial up connection.

fastvfr
06-14-2005, 23:05
This is the M$ link to the same SP2 Standalone Installer file. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ThankYou.aspx?familyId=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displayLang=en)

And, yeah, at 272,390KB downloading it might take awhile on dialup. Like ten hours to two days or so....

Suuure is nice having Broadband. ;b

Seriously, though, Gino--SP1a is all I run on several older boxes, including my sig rig. Using a good AV app like Avast and practicing commonsense by monitoring ports and using a hardware firewall makes a SP1 machine nearly as safe as a typical SP2 machine.

Just don't use Internet Exploder and disable ActiveX, and you should be okay.

GL!