Click of Death- Help me pull out all the stops to recover. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Click of Death- Help me pull out all the stops to recover.

10 Ring Tao
06-16-2005, 09:22
Ok, despite the search being disabled, I found these two threads with some interesting leads.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=325926
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=324079

At this point I think I'm going to freeze the drive, and then try booting to some kind of data recovery app.

Suggestions on exactly how to do this, and what apps to use?

Now, I'm also very mechanically inclined, and would have no problem breaking this thing open and playing with all the little bits. If anyone can tell me any advanced ways of getting that disk out, or fixing the arm, or the motor, please post it.

I keep reading about 'clean room' procedures, but no specifics. What exactly do they do in a clean room? Break open the drive and transfer the disks?

While I could afford data recovery, I just don't see it as a financial option for me.

Help me pull off a miracle here guys.

gwalchmai
06-16-2005, 15:45
1) Borrow a drive and get the data off and save it to CD (I can do it for you if you like, if they're 100MB zips)

2) Use every IOMEGA product you own as reactive targets, or coasters, but do not save data to them.

3) Get a CDRW - it's far and away more better.

10 Ring Tao
06-16-2005, 17:24
Originally posted by gwalchmai
1) Borrow a drive and get the data off and save it to CD (I can do it for you if you like, if they're 100MB zips)

2) Use every IOMEGA product you own as reactive targets, or coasters, but do not save data to them.

3) Get a CDRW - it's far and away more better.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with #1, but its sounds like your whole post is dripping with bitterness with iomega's zip drives.

gwalchmai
06-16-2005, 17:29
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
I'm not sure what you're trying to say with #1, but its sounds like your whole post is dripping with bitterness with iomega's zip drives. Does it really seem that way? Dang! ;)

IOMEGA just seems to epitomize the sleazy computer company ethos for me. I was fortunate enough to enjoy the entire ZIP drive fiasco, including rebates, CoD, and obsolescence. I still have three or four ZIP drives that I keep in a box to remind me not to buy into unproven (unprovable?) technologies.

Have you looked at Gibson's Click o' Death utils? (www.grc.com)? They may help you get the data back.

Or if the drive is bad you could use another one to recover the data. The disk is probably bad, though. Sorry.

10 Ring Tao
06-16-2005, 17:45
Looks like GRC's click 'o death apps are for zip and jaz drives.

gwalchmai
06-16-2005, 17:59
Sorry, what are you using that has a CoD?

< looked at the link > Oh - a Hard drive. Tried turning it upside down?

Otherwise, it's ben my experience that when they can't reset the prognosis is bleak or expensive.

mitchshrader
06-20-2005, 19:53
Some busted hard drives is busted. Sorry, that's the fact. SOME busted hard drives is NEARLY busted.

If you have that second sort, a One Time Fix MAY be to freeze the drive, (which increases internal tolerances) and then upon reinstalling PROMPTLY copy over data to another drive. I've heard various percentages of likely, 50%, 2 outa 3, 80%, that this is doable. It is a pure last resort for a mechanically failing drive, not a magic bullet.

Now, the freeze part is easy enough. Remove, put in plastic bag, put in freezer. several hours later, (to several days, not critical) reinstall & copy over to that NEW hard drive you installed in the interim.

Things to know before you get to the 'copy over' part. 1. You'll need your new drive, and operating system, installed. OR, 2.you can (if available) copy to another machine, given enough spare room on that hard drive.

In any case, you'll need a known good machine as the basis for any such attempt. You'll need a cable (or at least an open IDE channel) for the OLD drive to connect to, as well as a power cable. You MAY need to set the jumper from master to slave on the OLD drive before you begin copying. Setting the jumper is critical. KNOW it is correct for your configuration. If you don't know, ask, as this freezing trick is very unlikely to work twice. Object is, get the data copied before it warms up.

This is the only way I know to *maybe* avoid clean room prices. There are data recovery programs that do work, but.. they work IF the drive is mechanically sound and it's merely the data that's been messed up.

;U

Wingnut357
06-21-2005, 08:38
Originally posted by gwalchmai
Does it really seem that way? Dang! ;)

IOMEGA just seems to epitomize the sleazy computer company ethos for me. I was fortunate enough to enjoy the entire ZIP drive fiasco, including rebates, CoD, and obsolescence. I still have three or four ZIP drives that I keep in a box to remind me not to buy into unproven (unprovable?) technologies.

Have you looked at Gibson's Click o' Death utils? (www.grc.com)? They may help you get the data back.

Or if the drive is bad you could use another one to recover the data. The disk is probably bad, though. Sorry.

Hah, I feel your pain. I was cursed with a jaz drive for some time.

NGWT
06-22-2005, 00:05
Smack it, board up, on a table top. Then replace and try to access long enough to suck off your data.