OK you muscle-bound monkeys - what's your resting heart rate?! :) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OK you muscle-bound monkeys - what's your resting heart rate?! :)

kestrou
06-17-2005, 09:04
First - I mean that "muscle-bound monkey" comment in the best way possible - so nobody come over and break my pencil-neck, OK?! ;f

Seems this forum has a lot of "lifters" in it - time for a thread for the cardio junkies - meaning runners and bikers!

To me, the original definition of "Health and Fitness" includes stamina and cardio health. I mean, long before humans became overly muscular, we were following herds and chasing down game on foot.

So how hard do you work that area?

I'm a running junkie. No threat to the Olympic Gold, but I average 30 miles per week and have a resting heart rate of 50 or a little less.

Need an enevelope delivered 10 miles away in a little over an hour, I'm your man! Just don't ask me to pick up anything heavier than a 50 pound bag of dog food, OK?

;a

kestrou

garythenuke
06-17-2005, 09:39
56 bpm per Polar monitor first thing in the morning.

love,
cheetah

California Jack
06-17-2005, 11:39
I'm more monkey than muscle bound. But since weight training is more my thing than running I'll chime in. Resting pulse is 60 to 64 bpm. Not to your level but it's OK.

Not sure I agree with your stamina/chasing heards by foot comment.

Anyhow, I do 8x80 yard sprints 1xweekly. 20 minutes of interval traing 1xweekly. Sometimes I'll add in a 3rd day, maybe hill sprints or an occasional 3 mile slog.

I think one can have "cardio health" without LSD type training, however I may be wrong, since my last physical revealed elevated LDL (or poor LDL ratios).

I think training should be strength and health not stamina and heatlth.

TEHO

Jack

ateamer
06-17-2005, 19:53
Resting pulse - 68. Blood pressure - 125/80. Cholesterol - no idea, but I am sure it is at least 220 or so. Bodyweight varies between 242 and 250 depending on what shift I am on (too hard to eat properly on dayshift).

garythenuke
06-18-2005, 06:22
Kestrou,
I did not take offense at your header. I am sure most of us took it the way it was meant. Once again, going back to the Steve Justa book, he even writes about marathon lifting workouts. He is kind of a different type of fellow, but he has some good nuggets of information in his book.

He suggests working out for four or five hours lifting weights for these marathon workouts. In this case, though, the workout would ony be done very rarely, and would not be part of a weekly training schedule. More of a plateau breaker if I read it correctly.

Sincerely,
Cheetah

ps send more banannas;)

kestrou
06-18-2005, 07:47
Thanks GTN - I've been around GT long enough (coming up on 5 years) that most everybody knows I'm a joker (at least in the other forums I frequent).

Yeah, I'm really a marathoner - with the almost emaciated look that usually accompanies it - and would like to add a little bulk. On the plus side, any bulk would be immediately visible! ;f

kestrou

California Jack
06-18-2005, 08:07
kestrou,

Why are you trying to add a little muscle mass? To me, and I'm no authority, it seems contrary to your marathoning goals?

Out of curiosity, what marathons have you run?

FWIW,I too, took your monkey comment with humor.

JAck

kestrou
06-18-2005, 18:52
CJ,

As I mentioned, I'm no threat to the Olympic Gold - but I do OK. My best Marathon is a little over 3 hours - so I'm no "slacker" ;f

But, I turn 40 next month and realize "my best days are behind me" in running so I'm not working that area quite as hard/serious as I used to. And another impending factor of aging is loss of what muscle mass I do have. So, I'm taking a more measured approach to running, and believe I need to (finally) work in some upper body weight training.

I guess it's a "balance" I'm striving for! ;f

OK - I don't recommend the following running schedule for anyone else, but here's what I've done for the past 20 years.

I start running every year in March or April (depending on when the weather breaks) and then I train up to race a Marathon or Half-Marathon every year in about November - and my last step of the race is my last step running until the following spring!

The biggest negative is: my weight swings about 20 pounds between March and October - and I have completely separate closets of pants for the seasons! :)

The biggest positive is: having 4 months of recovery time every year has really let me run injury free all this time. Sure, I've had a sprained ankle or a little muscle soreness, but no joint pain at all! ^c

For Marathons, I've run Chicago a few times, plus Portland, Hawaii, Indianapolis, and Kiawah Island (in South Carolina). I've run more at least twice as many Half-Marathons as Marathons and really can't recall them all.

On the humor issue: I've run by some pretty muscular guys in races before and taunted them with "Bet you're sorry you're carrying those extra 60 pounds of muscle now, aren't ya?" ;a

kestrou;

California Jack
06-18-2005, 20:01
Anyone that breaks 3:30 is doing great in my book. Congrats.

If you want balance, I think you should switch from marathoning to 400m or 800m. I recently read an article that says those guys have it all; aerobic and anaerobic capacity as well as strength. I think that's admirable!

Good luck. Ask away on the weight training questions. You'll get a slew of answers here.

Jack

California Jack
06-18-2005, 20:08
Oh yeah, my unsolicited opinion; I suggest that in your running off-season you try high rep kettlebells. Google kettlebells. I think that will help with your muscle mass issue and keep some of you aerobic capacity while letting your joints recover.