Got a problem with my computer here... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got a problem with my computer here...

VinVega
06-17-2005, 22:48
Ok so I've got a problem. Someone, don't know who because the whole family uses my comp, somehow got a BUNCH of spyware/adware/virii on this comp and I need it off. Problem is, nothing's removing it. The best solution to me is to reset everything back to when I know it was last working perfectly, which was yesterday around noon. Only problem is, I don't know how to do this. Can someone steer me in the direction I need to go to do this, or how I can correct all this? I try not to ask questions like this on gun boards, but figured it was the most likely place to ever get an answer. I've tried adaware, spybot, and Norton on it. Totally unsuccessful after a whole day of working on it. The tech at the city did it to my dad's work comp, but I don't know how to do it to mine. I'm running Win2k.

If I can't do this, I'm just gonna have to reformat, which is never fun.;P

fastvfr
06-18-2005, 01:19
Okay. First, get rid of Norton.

Half of the PC's I work on have a busted Norton install cluttering up the joint, and those machines invariably have a bunch of viruses.

First go to Trend and run their excellent Housecall utility (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp) if you haven't already, then delete Norton and install a better AV app.

Try Avast! from www.avast.com for a great free solution that works far better than Norton ever did..

Next, get a copy of Hijack This (install the .exe directly into the C:\ directory--don't run it from the desktop) and post a copy of its log file here before you delete ANYTHING. I'll tell you what is safe to delete and what will cause problems.

CrapCleaner will also find things SB and AA don't, so dload a copy of that and install it.

How do you connect to the Web, Broadband or dialup?

Start with this and see what happens. Good luck.

mitchshrader
06-20-2005, 19:33
What he said ^ .. Double Ditto about Norton. I've heard it called the Norton Virus..

When you get a huge wad of spyware, it's a wake-up call to do some prevention. Of course, you do want it to be CLEAN before that.. so allocate time for BOTH parts, the cleanup and the vaccinations against future issues.

If you can't do the second, PROMPTLY shut down the comp after a cleanup until you can.

Basic Prevention is: Update all windows security fixes, install and configure firewall (kerio v. 2.15 works, free).. install and configure a REAL anti-virus.. (whichever you've chosen).. stick on IE-Spyads & Spywareblaster. Update virus definitions on your AV, and THEN do regular maintenance. (Clean brower caches, delete cookies, defragment).. and THEN do the fine tuning of your security. That is another topic, see the sticky thread about it.

;g rotsa ruck
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, AMD 2600M @ 2.3 gigs 1024 Mushkin DDR3200 Ram, LiteOn 16x DVD-R/W Gainward Golden Sample 5900XT @450/780 21" Philips 201B4