Older drivers wont load on video card [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Older drivers wont load on video card

Satyr
06-19-2005, 07:29
Hi guys,I've been having HELL getting "Call OF Duty" to play on my PC.People have told me to back down the drivers on my video card to see if that helps.I went from a 71.89 driver to a 56.72 driver.It helped a little,but I still lock up at the second level.I did a search on other websites and it seems that people all over the world are having problems getting this game to run.This one guy on this other forum said he loaded the 53.03 drivers and now the game runs great.so I went to NVIDIA and loaded the same driver and it would not install on my system, It said it could not find the proper softwear.SO i guess my queston is,is this driver to old for my videocard? I have a "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500oc 256mb DDR AGP 8x/4x"

fastvfr
06-19-2005, 21:49
Heck, no. I've installed FX5500's with the 44.03 drivers and they worked perfectly.

Sounds like you need to use Driver Cleaner to eradicate all traces of the old Forceware and Detonator drivers. Uninstall the nVIDIA driver in the CP and then reboot into Safe Mode to run DC.

Then reboot to Normal Mode and reinstall the card from scratch. This method always helps and usually fixes the problem.

The older drivers may not support all the possible functions of the newest cards, but since a 5500 is a 5200 on steroids (albeit somewhat MILD steroids) those 44.03 drivers are possibly your best bet.

They may not work with the newer DX9.0c games, though...

I found the 66.81 series work best for my FX5900 Ultra card, and they may work well for yours too AFTER you rip out the current set and all the garbage remnants that are in the Registry.

Give that a try before you get too excited...lots of games won't play properly with corrupted drivers...and when partial drivers remain, sometimes the card tries to comit its GPU cycles to two opposite functions -- and you get a crash every time.

So clean that PC up with DC3 and try again from scratch. Good luck.

Satyr
06-20-2005, 20:40
Thanks Fastvfr,I havent had time to do it yet ,but thanks for the info, ill try this before looking for other answers.I really beleave this is nothing more than a driver problem. Ill let you know if it works.