Business server [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Business server

bohr
06-19-2005, 08:44
Hi All,

What would one expect to pay to have a small linux server put in a small business. I have been asked to come up with solutions to backing up data on 8 Windows XP machines on a nightly bases. I am trying to come up with ideas and I like the linux server idea because of reliability and scalability. The server could offer ftp and website space in the future as well. What do you all think?

ETA: Anyone know of a free windows back-up utility?

308endurdebate
06-19-2005, 13:17
Probably not more than $1000 - and that would be high - should take less than one day.

You could either create a samba share and use ntbackup to it (this can include system state). Or use amanda with samba to backup remotely the PC (this can't get system state). Or for just specific files, folder, you could use samba and its copy capability to pull files off the specific machines.

Cheers
Ken

bohr
06-19-2005, 13:54
I am going to build the server and install linux on it. Can you elaborate some on the samba copy utility? I am familiar with samba, but have never tried using it to copy. Thanks!

ETA: I figured it with the NTFS kernel module and the mount -t ntfs command

308endurdebate
06-19-2005, 19:44
Originally posted by bohr
I am going to build the server and install linux on it. Can you elaborate some on the samba copy utility? I am familiar with samba, but have never tried using it to copy. Thanks!

ETA: I figured it with the NTFS kernel module and the mount -t ntfs command

smbclient would allow you to tar or get files.

remember - any of the linux side only options (smbclient, amanda/samba) are not true backups, but rather reasonable file backups. Pretty much in all cases including NTbackup to a samba share, you won't backup open files. So you'll need to ensure that your users close down their applications.