Any MS Word experts out there? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any MS Word experts out there?

ysr_racer
06-19-2005, 19:56
I'm running MS Word 97 on home XP box. Whenever I open an existing document I get a popup that says,

"This document is in use by xxxxx xxxxxx (me) would you like to make a copy?"

Any idea how I can turn this off? It's starting to bug me.

David_G17
06-19-2005, 20:16
sounds like a permissions problem. make sure the files aren't marked "read only" when you right click on them and goto properties.

ysr_racer
06-19-2005, 20:27
Thanks but they're not marked read only. Any other ideas?

NRA_guy
06-19-2005, 20:59
Here is a similar situation in Word 2000 that may show up in 97. I don't have 97 anymore.

Let's say your file is named "filename.doc". If you can see a file named "~$filename.doc" in Windows Explorer or by opening Word and then trying to open a file, you either have Word running twice and the former has it open, or you created it and bailed out of Word without shutting it down.

------------------------------------------------------------
Document Shows as 'In Use' by Another User

What would you do if you started a new session with Word, and then went to open a document, only to see a message stating that the document you want to open is "locked for editing by another user?" Word gives you the option to open a read-only version of the document, but you want to edit the real document. What do you do?

To understand what happened, it is helpful to understand a little of how Word 2000 and later versions open documents. When you open a document, Word creates what is known as an owner file for the document. This file is created in the same folder as the document you are opening. Its name consists of a tilde (~) followed by a dollar sign ($) and then the rest of the file name of the document you are opening. For instance, if you try to open a document named BigBudget.doc, then Word creates an owner file with the name ~$gBudget.doc.

The owner file is a way for Word to realize who has the document open at the current time. It is a temporary file (it is deleted when you close the file) that holds the login name of the person that opened the document.

This is where the confusion comes in. If you see the error message described at the beginning of this tip, it means that one of three conditions exists:

1. Word was shut down improperly and the owner file could not be deleted. For instance, the power to your machine was interrupted for some reason.

2. The document is accessible on a network and a different user has the document open. (Probably not your case.)

3. A second instance of Word is running, and the document is open in that copy of Word.

If you are sure that there is no other user accessing the file, and you don't have it open in another copy of Word, then you can follow these steps so you can open the file normally:

Quit all instances of Word on your system.
Display the Task Manager. (Right-click on the Task bar and choose Task Manager, or press Ctrl+Alt+Del and choose Task Manager.)
In the Applications tab, select any instances of Microsoft Word and click on End Task. (If you successfully completed step 1, there should be no instances of Word in the Applications tab.)
Display the Processes tab.
In the list of processes, find any named Winword.exe, select them, and click on End Process. (If you see a warning dialog box, click on Yes.) This step is necessary because sometimes Word gets confused and leaves a part of itself in your computer's memory.
Close the Task Manager.
Using Windows Explorer, display the folder that contains the document you tried to open.
If you see an owner file in the folder (named according to the format previously described), delete it.
You should now be able to start Word and successfully open the document.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

ysr_racer
06-19-2005, 23:18
Now it's starting to piss me off.

1 copy of Word running, 1 copy of winword.exe running. No copy of ~$filename.doc.

Any more ideas?

Toyman
06-20-2005, 05:52
Save as a new filename, delete the old file, then rename the new one.

NetNinja
06-20-2005, 07:20
I remember seeing this Ofice 97 to Office 2000 problem about 5 years ago?

Someone bought a personal copy into the office and had our network admin install it on thier desktop.

Every Office doc file that was created in Office 97 and subsequently opened by the Office 2000 user became usesless to the Office 97 users and subsequently the Office 2000 user.

But the only solution was to remove Office 2000 from thier desktop machine.

Here is a silly question.

Is Office 97 fully patched? Huh? Yes. make sure Office has all of it's security and who knows what MS fixed patches applied.

Go to the standard Windows update page and click on the link at the top that says Office updates.

I hope that helps.

Also try and let Office make the copy of the file. Make a back up first! back it up to floppy.

David_G17
06-20-2005, 10:36
you could patch it for good:

http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.4/index.html

;)