Windows multi-user security features suck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows multi-user security features suck


NRA_guy
06-20-2005, 12:04
Do you guys who (like me) still use Windows find their "multi-user" profiles and admin and user passwords and other security features as useless as I do?

They are like door locks---more likely to keep out the legitimate user than a hacker bent upon doing worng.

I would estimate that 99.9% of my computers are only accessed by me and 99.9% of my files are of interest only to me. The other 0.1% I can hide, put on a thumb drive in my pocket, encript, or whatever.

I find every subsequent version of Windows goes farther and farther down this "security of a multi-user PC" road. But most folks I know sit at their own PC trying to make it work.

End of venting for now . . .

grantglock
06-20-2005, 17:15
thats not the intention of microsoft and xp home, they are there so that one family can have different profiles, favorites, email settings, etc. xp pro on the other hand is designed for user security.

NRA_guy
06-20-2005, 19:37
Well, I suppose. But "home" profiles is nothing more than family security as far as I am concerned.

Just a different audience.

It keeps folks out of each other's stuff.

But, again, home and PRO frustrate me more than help me.

At work, not having ADMINSTRATOR priviledge is supposed to keep users from screwing up some things, but they seem to be able to screw things up anyway. And the patches and upgrades screw it up even more.

I just think Microsoft has made things so unnecessarily complicated that even IM folks cannot keep it all working.

And as far as I am concerned, multi-user features do more harm than good.

Just my $0.02.

I don't know many who "compute" with a computer anyway. All they do is check email, surf the net, and post on GlockTalk. ;Q