BIOS upgrades [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BIOS upgrades

sarge
06-20-2005, 19:25
Is there any problems doing BIOS upgrades? I have a Dell 4600 that is about 2 years old. I was having some problems, and the tech guy told me that I need to update the BIOS. You know, any time I do something like this, I get the heebie jeebies. This is the kind of stuff that is way over my head, and if anything was to happen, I wouldn't even know where to start. There is an upgrade available, and I have downloaded it, just not run it yet.

Any thoughts...??

TIA!!

Washington,D.C.
06-21-2005, 11:25
Newer bios upgrades like on the Dim 4600 aren't as risky as they once were.There are two versions of bios flashing for the Dim 4600.You can save the "non Windows" one on disk just in case the Windows one doesn't finish and you can't boot back in to Windows.This might only be a problem if you lose power during the bios flash.It should be fairly painless to do the Windows based upgrade.

NetNinja
06-21-2005, 11:31
Woa! Bios update? What is the ooperating system you are using?

I did this once one a laptop running Windblows 2000. Guess what. No more OS boot up. Constant Blue Screens Of Death (BSOD)

If you have ghost make a backup of your system before you do that.

nickg
06-21-2005, 12:56
i did a flash bios update a few months back.

i got worried at first because nothing happened when i first tried to load it. it said there was a problem and would i like to go back to the way the system was before the attempted upgrade.

so i clicked Yes and BINGO, the new bios update loaded immediately and has worked perfectly since then.

go figure!!! ;Q

fastvfr
06-21-2005, 15:12
Errr...the BIOS does not have anything to do with the OS...the OS relates to it to use the hardware but the two are not connected in any way.

The CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) chip on the mainboard holds a few MB of info, and that's where the BIOS resides. Removing that little battery on the MOBO resets the BIOS to defaults and also necessitates the resetting of the clock and any custom settings.

BIOS flashes can be dangerous as they can cripple the MOBO badly, as some of you have found out. The best idea is to dload a copy of your current bIOS files beforehand, then put them on TWO NEW floppies.

That way you have an excellent chance of being able to get back up even if the newer version pooches the system for you.

The only reason I'll flash a BIOS is if there are major problems or newer features on the MOBO that need the newer BIOS to be used.

Personally, I would hold off on that update.

Washington,D.C.
06-21-2005, 15:35
No the bios doesn't normally have anything to do with the OS.But some changes are made to be compatible with different/newer OS's.Many newer motherboards have bios that can be flashed while running Windows.Kinda like CD/DVD firmware flashes.If not running Windows they have flashes that run the old fashioned way,at system boot.They have become less risky than earlier bios flashes.

sarge
06-25-2005, 19:47
Hey, thanks for the replies. I have been gone a couple of days and didn't get back to this. I might just see what happens. My son was having problems with his computer, and that was one of the things that Dell recommended that we do.

fastvfr
06-26-2005, 10:13
What kind of problems was/is he having?

sarge
06-26-2005, 17:43
The computer would just shut down when he was using it. No reason at all, not any particluar time frame, might be after 2 hours, might be after 2 minutes. If it was just after an extended time, I would consider heat. This really doesn't seem like a heat problem to me. It might come right back on (pushing the on button), it might not come back on for a while. We are working on it, though.