funny gym stories? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : funny gym stories?

RockinAR
06-20-2005, 20:38
Anyone have any funny gym stories? I was at the gym yesterday and this guy who appeared to be a newbie was attempting to do some hyperextensions while holding a 45 pound plate. Only his back was not nearly strong enough to do them while holding the weight. So his lower back would raise first before his shoulders and head, so it looked like he was doing "The Worm". It was funny as hell looking. I tried to get a pic of it with my camera phone but he dropped the weight before I could snap the pic. I thought it was going to be a matter of seconds before he injured his back. It looked painfull.

garythenuke
06-20-2005, 21:32
That is exactly why I do not go to gyms anymore. I would not blame him, but the schmuck who sold him his membership and then did not make sure he got some instruction. Though I bet it was amusing. Did you have a chance to offer him assistance afterwards??

BCR
06-21-2005, 00:47
At my gym we have one of those women that is probably about 40, but looks like she's 30. Has nice 80's hair straight from a Motley Crue video, is almost 6 feet tall, and wears the skimpiest sports bras available (and fills them out nicely). She's in decent shape. Likes to do the more rare lifts and also fix her hair all the time.

Anywho, she was on the treadmill a few weeks ago and trying to read at the same time and (you guessed it) caught her shoe on the side and went down like a ton of bricks. Funny thing is she grabbed the bar and just got dragged for a few seconds, then actually had enough strength to pull herself up and grabbed her magazine like nothing happened. Didn't even mess up her hair.

I thought for sure the treadmill was going to rip her top off!;f

Then there was a noobie doing preacher curls with too much weight and no collars. Lost one side and then the bar flipped up and almost knocked out his buddy that was laughing at him.

Guess we've all seen it before.

10 Ring Tao
06-21-2005, 01:51
Pay D-E-F-E-N-S-E! (http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=375953&perpage=25&highlight=&pagenumber=1)

Glock19Fan
06-23-2005, 20:07
When I was in 10th grade, a guy named Chris (AKA Chicago), Matt, and Anthony were working out with me. I was doing around 200 on the bench press. Chicago, which hadnt lifting in a while (used to do 150 or so) wanted to try 200 pounds. He tried the "bounce it off the chest" trick, but it didnt work! It knocked the wind out of him, and hurt my arms from falling on the ground so hard laughing. :) After his spotter brought the weight back up he couldnt stop laughing either.

UtahIrishman
06-26-2005, 13:31
There was a guy at the gym I go to who was talking with some friends while pulling on one side of the handbar for the lateral pull down machine. He was just standing there pulling on it and then it fell over... He and his buddy managed to catch it and push it back up right. ;Q

Haven't seen him since

David Z
07-05-2005, 17:57
I think it is greatly amusing when a newbie sees what my wife is lifting, grabs roughly double it, performs a few obviously painful reps, then leaves and never comes back. She trains hard, and is much stronger than she looks.

Benzo
07-07-2005, 16:24
If anyone here uses Whey protein supplements, then you'll know what I'm talking about. One day at the gym I was benching and decided to try my max. When pushing the bar back up, I felt a bubble suddenly in my stomache abd couldn't help but let it rip. Needless to say, I found use of a tums or gasx helps while using whey protein.

testosterone
07-08-2005, 17:02
years ago when i lived in a small town and worked out at the small town gym, my training partner and I would have to entertain questions between sets. we would always have teenagers come up and ask us how to get big and 'what exercises do i have to do to get big like you' and so on. My partner got fed up one day and told a kid that before every training session we would run icyhot on our shaved testicles becuase it had a 300% increase in free testosterone levels. I couldnt believe he was telling the kid but screw me if the kid didnt show up to the gym the next day with a brown bag with icy-hot in it. All I heard was a bunch of yelling and cussing coming out of the locker room....
It was a dick move but as usual, we would spend alot of time giving out advice only to see it ignored. Kinda the same reason I dont like to type out long responses of advice anymore. They prob arent followed and nobody even likes to say 'gee..thanks'

Unregistered
08-08-2005, 05:10
I have one, but I was the bozo.

Back when Poliquin's 'unstable environment' concept was first hitting the gym/mags, I decided to incorporate it into my routine by performing squats while standing on a basketball. Yes, a basketball.

Developing the balance needed to perch on the ball and 'walk it forward' took me a while. During that time the regulars were treated to the sight of Unregistered playing circus bear by the dumbbell rack, complete with bewildered head shaking and pinwheeling pratfalls.

It didn't help that I refused to explain myself. I was convinced that everyone was going to be in awe of my progressive lifting technique, and I worried that if I spilled the beans, someone with better coordination would beat me to giving the first demonstration.

Eventually I got the hang of it. I hadn't told my plan even to my lifting partner. When I placed the basketball under the rack and tossed on a couple plates, he figured it out. "Oh my God. Dude, I am not spotting that."

"Fine, it's just a warmup." I hopped on the ball in a crouch, got the bar situated, and stood up.

KERR-POW!!

The bar hit the stands, I hit the deck, and after it was obvious I was OK, he about suffocated laughing, along with the half of the room that wasn't staring dazedly in the direction of the gunshot. I got grief - called, "Basketball Jones," and had popping noises made around me, etc, the rest of the time I lifted there.

David Z
08-08-2005, 17:46
Squats while standing on a freakin' basketball? Too funny!

I have been inspired to try juggling dumbbells while riding a unicycle to warm-up before today's shoulder workout!

pellertpale
08-15-2005, 10:05
Originally posted by Unregistered
I have one, but I was the bozo.

Back when Poliquin's 'unstable environment' concept was first hitting the gym/mags, I decided to incorporate it into my routine by performing squats while standing on a basketball. Yes, a basketball.

Developing the balance needed to perch on the ball and 'walk it forward' took me a while. During that time the regulars were treated to the sight of Unregistered playing circus bear by the dumbbell rack, complete with bewildered head shaking and pinwheeling pratfalls.

It didn't help that I refused to explain myself. I was convinced that everyone was going to be in awe of my progressive lifting technique, and I worried that if I spilled the beans, someone with better coordination would beat me to giving the first demonstration.

Eventually I got the hang of it. I hadn't told my plan even to my lifting partner. When I placed the basketball under the rack and tossed on a couple plates, he figured it out. "Oh my God. Dude, I am not spotting that."

"Fine, it's just a warmup." I hopped on the ball in a crouch, got the bar situated, and stood up.

KERR-POW!!

The bar hit the stands, I hit the deck, and after it was obvious I was OK, he about suffocated laughing, along with the half of the room that wasn't staring dazedly in the direction of the gunshot. I got grief - called, "Basketball Jones," and had popping noises made around me, etc, the rest of the time I lifted there.

LMFAO;z