PayPal spoofs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PayPal spoofs

lomfs24
06-21-2005, 22:24
I am getting a lot of PayPal spoofs lately. I am smart enough to not actually give them my information. However there are many people who would be more than willing to offer it all up.

Where and how can I go about reporting this type of stuff. I am reporting them to PayPal but nothing seems to be happening. Is there another place with a little more clout that would be willing to go after these guys?

10 Ring Tao
06-21-2005, 22:45
FYI, emails like that are called Phishing.

lomfs24
06-21-2005, 22:48
I stand corrected. ;f
Whatever they are called, these POS's should be stopped at all cost. :soap:

10 Ring Tao
06-21-2005, 23:02
Wasn't correcting, more like adding a little bit better name.

The thing that makes these guys hard to stop, is that they use webspace on servers that they've hacked into, because those servers haven't been secured properly.

Damn near impossible to track down, and by the time the server operator realizes his box has been hacked, the damage has been done and the info been harvested, and the bad guys have moved on.

stooxie
06-22-2005, 12:08
Originally posted by lomfs24
I am getting a lot of PayPal spoofs lately. I am smart enough to not actually give them my information. However there are many people who would be more than willing to offer it all up.

Where and how can I go about reporting this type of stuff. I am reporting them to PayPal but nothing seems to be happening. Is there another place with a little more clout that would be willing to go after these guys?

The PayPal website has a reporting tool. Make sure you paste in the real URL of the phishing attempt, not the fake one that appears in the email:

https://www.paypal.com/ewf/f=pps_spf

-Stooxie

Don At PC
06-22-2005, 13:59
There is also a Federal Trades Commission site to report this as well. I have it on my computer at home but and currently on the road and wont be able to retrieve it till Monday. When I get back Monday I would be happy to post it. I have sent 2 items to them from Foriegn Folks trying to tell me they were going to share millions with me but I had to send them eith money or other personal info. Something like www.ftcabuse.org.

Alpha752
06-22-2005, 15:40
forward it to spoof@paypal.com

Blast
07-04-2005, 07:03
I've been getting them too claiming unauthorized access. They say another email has been added to my account and if I didn't authorize it to use link provided. The first time, I clicked on the link because the page looked legitimate, but it brought up a page asking for name and credit card information as part of a random security check. Naturally I did not submit info. I forwarded all the ones I received to spoof@paypal.com and soon got replies confirming they were not sent by Pay Pal.
Read the security tips at Pay Pal.

lomfs24
07-04-2005, 17:00
Originally posted by Alpha752
forward it to spoof@paypal.com

I did with a couple. And they replied with a message that said they were not legitimate. Of course they aren't, that's why I sent it to them in the first place. I checked the site as much as a week later and they were still in business. I did however, send a complaint to the FBI on one. I don't remember the link right off. And the site was offline the next day. That made me feel better.