Linksys BEFSR41 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Linksys BEFSR41

SKeefe
06-22-2005, 11:46
At my home, I have two computers networked using the Linksys router WITHOUT firewall (not sure of the model name/number). It was very easy to set up a long time ago, and when I recently moved and hooked my computer up at the new place, I simply had to plug in the router and it worked automatically.

I am hooking up the Linksys BEFSR41 for someone else, and it is more difficult for some reason. It tells me that the network connection is up at 100mbps, but it will not let me connect to the internet. When I unplug the router and simply use the modem, it works fine. What am I forgetting to do, or what is going wrong?

pyblood
06-22-2005, 12:08
Does their ISP require the PC's MAC address in order to access the internet? I had this same problem until I talked to their tech support. They told me that I needed to give them the MAC address of the router and they would then allow it to get online. After a ;little time waiting, I was online with all of the computers connected to the router.

SKeefe
06-22-2005, 14:58
They use the same ISP (road runner) that I use.

The computer also has the road runner firewall and AV on it, but I disabled the firewall and had the same problem.

Toyman
06-23-2005, 08:00
Got to the Status page, the WAN should have an IP address, if not, click DHCP renew.

SKeefe
06-23-2005, 16:17
Originally posted by Toyman
Got to the Status page, the WAN should have an IP address, if not, click DHCP renew.
What if even after doing so it still doesn't have one?

SKeefe
06-27-2005, 06:22
Originally posted by SKeefe
What if even after doing so it still doesn't have one?
Anyone know?

TECH24_glock23
06-27-2005, 17:13
Turn off all firewall, unplug modem and router for 30 seconds. after doing this reconnect and once u get online turn on the firewalls again. Usually works for me. If that does not work manually reset the router with the little pin hole button on back.

Don At PC
06-30-2005, 07:15
Are you using the original cable from the modem to the correct socket in the router? Not all the cables are the same internally. I had a simular problem and found that If I used the cable that originally went from the modem to my ether net card and plugged it into the socket where the modem is supposed to be connected to the router that all worked fine.

NGWT
07-03-2005, 00:03
Also, make sure the WAN side of the router is programmed with the IP of the router. Then make sure the LAN side of the router has the beginning address and the address block. Check the routers error logs too.

jpa
07-10-2005, 04:57
I know SBC's dsl requires a PPPoE connection with a login/pass sent to their system before you are assigned an IP.

Can your PCs share files/printers or at least see each other in the Network Neighborhood? Do you have a good ip address on those pc's in the 192.168.1.x range?

SKeefe
07-11-2005, 08:10
Well, thanks for the help guys.

It finally decided to start working after resetting the modem and router, despite the fact that I must have done that about 20 times before.

Another thing I wanted to mention...

My personal router (also a BEFSR41, although it looks different from the one I was trying to get to work), emits a ringing/whistling noise sometimes. Is that normal?