Way to change disk priority for programs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Way to change disk priority for programs?

ThinkOfTheChildren
06-22-2005, 16:08
When I'm running lots of programs, I usually assign them various CPU priorities in XP (Low, BelowNormal, Normal, etc). Some programs, however, will slow my system down a lot, not if they are using a lot of CPU resources but reading/writing to the HDD a lot.

Is there any way to assign certain programs to higher/lower priority to the HDD? Is there a way to make sure that the programs that heavily utilize the HDD won't lock up programs that are just trying to minimally use the HDD?

pyblood
06-22-2005, 22:25
I know that some programs allow you to change the temporary folder that it utilizes. For example, XP likes to use C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp. Check the “options” or "preferences" of the programs and see if you can change the location of the temporary folder. That may help a little.

How much RAM do you have installed in your system?

ThinkOfTheChildren
06-23-2005, 06:11
Originally posted by pyblood
How much RAM do you have installed in your system?
One gig.

Toyman
06-23-2005, 07:53
It may not be that the program itself is writting to the HDD, but that windows is using the swap file to manage the memory used by the program. You may want to look into the memory usage of these programs, and your current virtual memory settings.

NGWT
06-25-2005, 06:31
Get a good scsi card that'll offload the work from the cpu for those programs.

An external Firewire drive would probably work well too.