need help on a workout program [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : need help on a workout program

glock_19guy1983
06-23-2005, 03:09
Ok its been a while since I have worked out and I just joined a gym. I plan on working out 4 nights a week I dont want to look like a body builder but I would like to lose a few excess pounds and tone up a little bit. I absolutely hate running but a buddy of mine said I should run for a few minutes every night before lifting weights. oh and I know about stretching. I was thinking of this workout. Any pointers or advice would be greatly apreciated

Monday Run for 10 minutes
then Pushing excercises like benchpressing

Tuseday run then pull exercises.

wedsday same as monday

thursday same as tuesday

thanks

California Jack
06-23-2005, 17:37
Don't worry about looking like a body builder.

I think you need to do a squat/hip movement too.

I think you might benefit from Pavel T's "Power to the People" book and program.

Basically it is 2 seets of 5 deadlift and 2 sets of 5 in a pushing movement (Pavel suggests the side press). I think if done properly you could do this workout 4 times weekly.

garythenuke
06-23-2005, 20:06
+ 1 for Pavel T.;Y

glock_19guy1983
06-24-2005, 01:11
what about running or bycycling? Like I said I really need to lose some flab too and Ive heard cardio type workouts are best for that.

California Jack
06-24-2005, 02:53
Yes, run or bike too. That is why I recomended Power to the People. The weight training is effective (for your stated goals as I understand them) while not being taxing physically or time wise. So you'll be able to cardio.

Personally, if in your shoes, 2x weekly I'd do High Intensity Interval Training ( see Bill Phillips website or his book ' Body For Life. He calls it Hi Point Training) and twice weekly something longer. Or maybe one day throw in some good old fashioned wind sprints. Mix it up. Uae the rowing machine too.

Good luck.

earl simmons
06-26-2005, 09:04
Add lower body work (stuff like squats, leg press, stiff-legged deadlifts, hamstring curls, toe raises, etc.) and do the cardio after the lifting. If you hate running, try other types of cardio. Most gyms are full of steppers, upright bikes, recumbent bikes, and ellipticals and have visual stimuli that makes using them less horrendous (televisions, sweaty female clients).

garythenuke
06-26-2005, 09:24
The classic number one overall total body exercise for building mass is the back squat. If you can have someone at your gym teach you to do it correctly, you can do squats and one other exercise, overhead press for example, and you are set. Leg press machines are not the same as a squat. Hip sled machines are not the same as a squat. The squat works nearly everything.

Once you are better conditioned and more comfortable with the weights, have someone teach you the deadlift. The deadlift will work everything on the back side of your body. This is about the ultimate single exercise total body workout movement you can find. It is not considered as good a mass builder as the squat because you have to concentrate more, and most people cannot put up the same weight due to grip strength problems. After a while though, you can be deadlifting more that you are squatting if you work hard enough at it.

I started doing a 100 rep deadlift workout. I do it with 102% of my max bodyweight. I do ten sets of ten. I am thrashed for at least three days afterwards. Start your new workouts slowly, and you will enjoy steady advances and few injuries. The 100 rep is very cardiovascularly challenging as well.

Keep us posted on you advancements.

Gary