No Motivation, New Workout until My Attitude Gets Better........... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No Motivation, New Workout until My Attitude Gets Better...........

California Jack
06-25-2005, 19:08
I can't get motivated to lift heavy (for me at least). Even took a week off. I think to combat this I am going to try low intensity, low to moderate volume, higher frequency workouts. Until I get my act in gear, I am going to base my workouts on only the following:

Overhead Squats
Drop Snatches (I don't know the difference between a Heave Snatch and Snatch Balance, But I'll be doing all the variants)
Behind the Neck press, push press or push jerk.
hang cleans.

If I feel really good I may do 1 or 2 sets of body weight dips and if feeling great maybe 6 singlews of front squats.

What do yo think?

Jack

garythenuke
06-25-2005, 21:37
Jack,
That sounds like a great workout. Even if you are not burnt out completely, it may be a good idea to do this for a week or so every couple of months to avoid burnout.
I completely understand motivation drops. The important thing is identifying it. Following that the important thing is to develop a plan. You have done both, good job.
It might be fun to look into alternative workouts for a few weeks. LIfting light and easy is one alternative. Another would be do find relatively light but very awkward things to lift. It is fun, challenging, and completely different from having a knurled bar in your hands and across your shoulders.
Hang tough on this, it will pass.

Otherwise, have a beer ;V and watch the new Magnus DVD. That'll get you pumped.

Gary

California Jack
06-26-2005, 06:36
Thanks for the encouragement Gary.;c

five-0
06-26-2005, 07:41
hey Jack...like many things, exercise has to be cycled as well (you already know this).
You seem to have your "active recovery" thought out.
It's times like these that make us take a hard look at what we're doing and initiate the little tweeks (or major overhauls) needed...many times we walk away "stronger" and more knowledgable than before.

Regardless...continue to provide the valuable advice that I've seen from you in the past.
Best

PS. So about those Clubbells...
;f

garythenuke
06-26-2005, 11:34
Jack,
I have never tried Clubbells, but they look interesting. I took a break some time ago from weights and went to body weight calisthenics for a while. See how many pushups and "hindu" squats you can do. Do pullups. Do ten or twenty sets of ten or twenty pushups during the day. Do ten or twenty sets of four, five, six or ten pullups. Just do "light" weight but high rep stuff. Work your way up to one legged squats and one handed pushups. These really do work your body differently than weights can. You may find that you like these better than weights. I doubt it, but it could happen..

Best regards,
Gary

California Jack
06-26-2005, 13:16
Thanks for the kind words five-O. I appreciate the encouragement from both you and Gary.

Now that it is about 98 degrees, I'm headed to the garage for an easy workout. Afterwards, I'm taking the kids for a swim.

Gary, I've never really understood clubells. five-O is a club-beller. I think he has a similar philosophy to ours in terms of training, full body workouts, compound lifts, etc. The stuff we like. If I remember correctly, one time he refered to isolation lifts and training bodyparts as "Frankenstein training".

Jack

California Jack
06-26-2005, 15:11
Just finished my light workout. Hadn't done OHS in a long long time. Even though my worksets were with only 95 lbs, and I left some reps in the tank, I'm pretty sure my legs will be sore. Good news is my flexibility is geting better, I was able to get deeper than my previous attempts at the OHS.

I need to add an ab exercise. Also, I will do Romanian DLs when I have time and energy.

A lesson learned. Don't due cleans while shirtless in a steamy garage. The racked barbell want to slide off.;g

Gary, maybe a squat snatch is in me!

Good training fellas,
Jack

garythenuke
06-26-2005, 19:57
JACK,
Congrats on your first workout. WHen I tried OHS the first time, my upper back seized up so bad I could hardly move for two days. I really love them. I have a buddy who can do bodyweight OHS's. What a stud. I started out with just the bar, and finally moved up to 95#. They are a great exercise.
Squat snatches rock! I have always had better luck with them than split snatches. I am not terribly flexible or coordinated, so the squat snatch really works for me. In general I do not have enough chest to hold the barbell very well anyway regardless of shirt or not;Q If I can work through the pain, I rack it in my collar bones;)

Good to hear from you Jack.
Gary

walangkatapat
07-02-2005, 22:27
Originally posted by California Jack
I can't get motivated to lift heavy (for me at least). Even took a week off. I think to combat this I am going to try low intensity, low to moderate volume, higher frequency workouts. Until I get my act in gear, I am going to base my workouts on only the following:

Overhead Squats
Drop Snatches (I don't know the difference between a Heave Snatch and Snatch Balance, But I'll be doing all the variants)
Behind the Neck press, push press or push jerk.
hang cleans.

If I feel really good I may do 1 or 2 sets of body weight dips and if feeling great maybe 6 singlews of front squats.

What do yo think?

Jack

I can't get going at all. Move to Oregon and get my sorry ass going.

Glock13
07-03-2005, 13:50
Here's where I go when I am lacking motivation:

www.animalpak.com

Check out the "training" and "livin'" sections. It'll get you fired up.