PGMA's press con [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PGMA's press con

Kiddo
06-27-2005, 05:43
What do you guys think? PGMA admitted that she was the one on the tape and talking to a COMELEC comissioner yet she did not state who was this comissioner. She was focusing more on saying sorry and asking the people to support her. Kainis pa mukha nya, poker face. ;Q

mikey177
06-27-2005, 06:53
In case any BoGs like me missed the presscon, here's the text of PGMA's speech. I hope I can catch the rerun later tonight.

Taken from http://news.inq7.net/breaking/index.php?index=1&story_id=41643

Full text, Arroyo statement on the tapes

First posted 07:19pm (Mla time) June 27, 2005
INQ7.net

WHAT follows is the full text of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo's statement on June 27, 2005 on the issue of the tape recordings:

Mga Minamahal kong Kababayan,

For the last several weeks, the issue of the tape recordings has spun out of control. Tonight, I want to set the record straight. You deserve an explanation; from me, because you are the people I was elected to serve.

As you recall, the election canvassing process was unnecessarily slow even after the election results were already in and the votes had been counted.

I was anxious to protect my votes and during that time had conversations with many people, including a Comelec official. My intent was not to influence the outcome of the election, and it did not. As I mentioned, the election had already been decided and the votes counted. And as you remember, the outcome had been predicted by every major public opinion poll, and adjudged free, fair and decisive by international election observers, and our own Namfrel.

That said, let me tell you how I personally feel, I recognize that making any such call was a lapse in judgment. I’m sorry. I also regret taking so long to speak before you on this matter. I take full responsibility for my actions and to you and to all those good citizens who may have had their faith shaken by these events. I want to assure you that I have redoubled my efforts to serve the nation and earn your trust.

Nagagambala ako. Maliwanag na may kakulangan sa wastong pagpapasya ang nangyaring pagtawag sa telepono.//pinagsisisihan ko ito ng lubos.// Pinana’gutan ko nang lubusan ang aking mga ginawa at humuhingi ako ng tawad sa inyo, sa lahat ng mga butihing mamamayan na nabawasan ng tiwala dahil sa mga pangyayaring ito. Ibig kong tiyakin sa inyo na lalo pa akong magsisikap upang maglingkod sa bayan at matamo ang inyong tiwala.

I took office with a mandate to carry out a plan for the nation. Since that time, I have focused on making the tough but necessary decisions to make up for years of economic neglect. We passed a comprehensive fiscally responsible national budget; raised new and necessary revenues to reinvest in the people; and implemented new anti-corruption measures that have led to the highest collection of taxes in history.

Nothing should stand in the way of this work, or the next phase of my reform agenda, which includes new investments in education and social services with our new revenues; and an expansion of our successful anti-corruption and lifestyle checks.

That is why I want to close this chapter and move on with the business of governing.

I ask each and every one of you to join hands with me in a show of unity, to help forge One Philippines, where everyone is equal under the law, and where everyone has the opportunity to use their God-given talents to make a better life.

Our nation is strong and getting stronger. The progress is steady and I ask you to walk with me on this journey to rebuild our great nation. I remain your humble servant and promise you that I will fulfill my constitutional oath of office to serve the people to the best of my ability.

God Bless the Philippines.

Alexii
06-27-2005, 07:08
Another can of worms opened. This should start the bickering frenzy anew within the House, Senate, media, and those annoying rallyists in Welcome Rotunda.

Couple of questions: She is apologizing exactly for what, lapse in judgment? Is it an impeachable offense?

toxic
06-27-2005, 07:09
parang nabunutan ng tinik nyan si Bunye ..inamin na pala.

kristiansen
06-27-2005, 07:15
I believe there is something terribly,terribly wrong for a president of any country to call an election official during an election wherein the president is also a candidate.let's see how they will execute their damage control.unfortunately, the economy will surely suffer from this very delayed response.ikaw pala yun ba't di mo inamin agad? don't know the legalities but think it is impeachable.just my 2 cents.

Phantasm
06-27-2005, 07:17
Let's see in the next few days if she can walk the talk. It may be wise to take the first steps in the form of weeding out the indesirables in her family.

If she fails to cash in by inaction, her show will backfire just like the attempted wiretapping on Garci's phone.

Allegra
06-27-2005, 07:57
hehe just like a girl who cant make up her mind
reminds me of the time nung may hostage sa Iraq
Nakikiramdam pa siya kung ano ang sentiments ng tao
By the time she makes a decision, it's too late

Sinong president( sa pinas ) ba ang malinis?
Unfortunately for Gloria, her enemies are powerful
She really is not so bad. Weak lang ang leadership nya

Vault Keeper
06-27-2005, 08:23
IMHO the President is appealing to the public. hoping against hope that the forgiving attitute of the Filipinos will once again prevail. Weather she admits it or not, its still going to damage her presidency. Its now up to the opposition how they will use the situation. What I think is that she should immediately secure her allies in congress and not allow them to turn there backs on her, or else...mag aala Nixon yan. Where his own party mates pushed him just to save face....Let us too hope for the best, not for anyone but for the country!

royal glockster
06-27-2005, 08:24
Originally posted by Alexii
Another can of worms opened. This should start the bickering frenzy anew within the House, Senate, media, and those annoying rallyists in Welcome Rotunda.

Couple of questions: She is apologizing exactly for what, lapse in judgment? Is it an impeachable offense?

Technically,lapse in judgment is not an impeachable offense, but explicitly instructing a comelec official to doctor the results of the election which IMO she did not, is a different matter.

Now that someone has admitted that she is the person in that tape, such tape is now considered technically illegal. And anyone who has in possession of the "hello garci" tape can now be prosecuted under the Anti Wire Tapping Law. ;Q

Eye Cutter
06-27-2005, 08:25
...she's banking on the filipino people's character of forgivefulness. let bygones be bygones...

... then when the people gets tired of all the hoopla and hubris of the opposition, PGMA and her retinue will be laughing all the way to the bank...

hoohah! there goes our ratings down the drain, again!

9MX
06-27-2005, 08:31
the inclement weather is in gma's favor at the moment. for as long as the AFP remains true to the constitution, militants can hold their vigils for as long as they like.

i voted for gma, not because i like her but because she was the lesser evil. and to her credit, this country moved a bit imho. but what she did was wrong, not criminally but morally. now we find ourselves in a catch 22.;g

ante will have a field day buying stocks tomorrow;z

attyjpl
06-27-2005, 09:14
Originally posted by Alexii

not really, unless our legal luminaries would interpret it in a way so as to make it fall under the ground "BETRAYAL OF THE PUBLIC TRUST".

vega
06-27-2005, 09:53
Guys, please bear with me. Who taped the conversation? I know Lacson have gadgets to those things when he was still in power. Did the commissioner taped it and turned over to Lacson? The way I see it illegal yung taping but the damaged has been done.

My 0.02.

vega

9MX
06-27-2005, 09:55
vega/bogs

wasnt' isafp under victor corpus during the elections? hmmm...

PMMA97
06-27-2005, 14:35
I think if Malacanan is making the Filipino more confused they have done a good job. Her apology was very open for varying speculations, and with at least six versions of the Hello Garci tapes circulating, I just don't know what recording she was reffering to in her speech. Lalong gumulo! Sino kaya ang speech writer?

To give you an idea. Here is a text transcript of the alledged "Gloria Tapes"

http://www.pcij.org/blog/wp-docs/complete-transcript.pdf

doctabako
06-29-2005, 07:22
So, now he's sending his corrupt husband on exile to an undisclosed foreign land. Although that may help a bit to assuage passions, I fail to see the wisdom in that, in light of the fact that it is she who's the perceived problem at the moment. Filipinos are very forgiving and have short memories, and we love a good fight as long as its fair. One thing we detest most are Cheats.
I remember one guy at a local cockpit who was mauled to a pulp(good thing he wasn't knifed) when he was suspected of lacing the tip of his fighting cock's blade(tari) with sodium cyanide due to the rapidity of the kill.
Gloria's days are numbered but the problem is who or what will replace her. All the opportunists and presidential wannabees are coming out of the woodwork, trying to make their presence felt. May God help us in these trying times.

mikey177
06-29-2005, 07:31
Originally posted by doctabako
...Filipinos are very forgiving and have short memories...

Unless you're Susan Roces and you feel that GMA played a big part in the decline in health and untimely demise of your husband.

I hope this doesn't end up being "Ang Kabiyak ng Panday vs Ang Pandak"

KenC
06-29-2005, 21:47
Maybe what is needed now is a day of prayer for the Government. Not one side or the other but, rather, that the government survives the back stabing and accusations that are sure to come.
Sometime we forget that there is really a power greater than us running things and He needs recognition too.
Just an observation that would not be allowed in the States. We have to keep God out of the government.