Do Cable Modems Fail Frequently?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do Cable Modems Fail Frequently??

Point Blanks
06-28-2005, 17:33
I have a RCA cable modem provided by Comcast

A tech told me they rarely go bad,is this true?

Thx..

bobby_w
06-28-2005, 18:43
My Road Runner supplied Toshiba failed after 2 years in service. Not too bad as they replaced it free and in 1 hour. (I had to go pick it up, which was not a problem.)

The current one has been running (brand unknown) for 4 months with no problem.

The only problem I have had was squirrels eating my cable at the pole. That took 2 days for them to come out and replace the entire run.

dport
06-28-2005, 19:27
I have a Motorola I bought from Cox over two years ago. Still going strong *knock wood*.

When I moved the new cable company brought a newer slimline Motorola-this model was black, mine was white-the tech commented that he liked my model better. According to him the slim Motorola is a source of headaches, while my older model, which this cable company stopped carrying a while back, isn't known for problems.

allanc
06-29-2005, 04:31
My first cable modem, a Motorola, started getting kind of flakey after 5 years. I had them replace it with a newer model Toshiba. It was a big improvement with speed. It is probably not a bad idea to tell the cable company your modem is getting flakey every couple of years and having them give you a new one.

modgun
06-29-2005, 23:53
I had an RCA cable modem for about 4 years before it broke.
Like this one.

http://www.computersbyevco.com/modems/cabledsl/pics/dcm245r.jpg

It worked great but it did eventually break.
I had to return it but somehow ended up with the power cord.
You want it?

Generalcarry
06-30-2005, 18:45
Along the same vein, I have Comcast as well and was going to start a new thread asking if it's wise to buy my own modem ~$70 or rent it from Comcast $3 a month. Allanc suggestion of having Comcast replace it every couple of years answered my question I do believe!

Harlequin
06-30-2005, 22:26
I had a 3Com "sharkfin" modem that was 5 years old when I switched to DSL. It worked fine the whole time and as far as I know still did.

unixguy
06-30-2005, 22:51
I just recently had my second RCA cablemodem die. They seem to last me about 2 years before they die.

Soujurn
07-01-2005, 18:52
Originally posted by Point Blanks

Thx..

I've had mine for over a year now, used 24/7. Not a burp out of it. Sometimes you need to turn it off and then on again to reset it, but I've only had to do that a couple times after power failures.

stooxie
07-01-2005, 20:01
Originally posted by Point Blanks

Thx..

As most here have said, they are pretty hardy. One thing I do to protect mine is use a surge protector that has coax ports on it. I'm not much of a tinfoil hat kind of person, but this one I believe in. Power surges down cable lines are not uncommond and cable boxes can deal with it. I've lost two cable modems to what I believed are power surges. The one I have now has been just fine behind my surge protector. The db loss is minimal and my cable modem runs at 4mbit (I can
download at 450kps).

Cable modems rock.

-Stooxie

GammaDriver
07-01-2005, 20:40
Well, My mum had hers for many years without a problem... but...

I, too, have Comcast, and I have the SB 5120 cable modem for almost one year. Here about 2 1/2 weeks ago I wasn't able to connect. They told me they were having problems. Fine (sorta - not really) - I was going on vacation in two days, so I unplugged everything to reset it for when I got back. Got back two days ago, still not working.

I spent many hours with three tech support people from Comcast. THe last guy stated that while ti was very rare, the modem could fail without actually showing an error in the four or five LED lights on the modem, and that I ought to take it in.

Sure enough, my modem was bad (I guess the storm that brought down the Goodyear blimp took my cable modem out - or it just went bad at the same time?).

Edit add-on: Yes, by all means rent the modem from Comcast. Not only do you get replacements, but you will get nearly -no- tech support if you insist on using your own modem. :)