More Newbie Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : More Newbie Questions

Allegra
06-29-2005, 09:53
1. Shoot fast( pero walang miss) or shoot accurately ( puro A's ) muna?

2. Mental ishtrategy :
Ano maganda isipin, may kalaban ka sa match or your only competition is yourself?

one_eye_kirat
06-29-2005, 12:56
Originally posted by Allegra
1. Shoot fast( pero walang miss) or shoot accurately ( puro A's ) muna?

2. Mental ishtrategy :
Ano maganda isipin, may kalaban ka sa match or your only competition is yourself?

1. I'd recommend shoot accurately first and always look at your front sight no matter what. Let your front sight act as your speedometer (nasa libro yan)hehehe.

2. For starters, perform within your limits/capabilities. Common mistakes ko is laging ginagaya ko yung magagaling kaya laging may miss.

mirko128
06-29-2005, 14:57
As a newbie, I follow the recommendation from some of the books I've read: work on accuracy first, speed will follow daw.

The technique I'm trying to use is Charles Stephens', the book is How To Become A Master Handgunner : The Mechanics Of X-Count Shooting.

I let another newbie friend read the book, nag-improve naman, although hirap pa rin sya sa Taurus 24/7 nya, tigas daw ng trigger e.

Eye Cutter
06-29-2005, 16:32
there was an article in the old gun games magazine that world class shooters were trained to speed up first.

JuDGe
06-29-2005, 17:32
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
there was an article in the old gun games magazine that world class shooters were trained to speed up first.

same thing i have read naman sa american handgunner magazine that one can always learn accuracy but speed has already to be there to start with.

i always think of competing with myself only and improve from my last match.... kung iisipin ko pa yung iba, eh manonood na lang ako ng match... ang bibilis kasi nila eh ;f

mc_oliver
06-29-2005, 18:52
1. Learn to shoot groups to get your basics down, at least keep it in the A at any given distance.

Learn to move fast, you can do this without firing a single shot (read: dry fire). And you can practice moving fast cuncurrent with building your ability to shoot groups.

Madali lang tumakbo ng mabilis, kahit puro kaliwa paa mo. ;f But without your basics down in shooting a decent group or if your groups are more like a shotgun pattern, mahirap tamaan yang 8" steel kahit nasa 10 yards lang yan. ;)

2. It's always best to benchmark your performance against your previous ones lalo na kung noobi ka. Once your skill progresses and you start looking for your name from the top of the list (instead of the bottom), that's probably the time you start gauging your skills against others. But then again, you're still looking at self-improvement (from your current skill) to be able to claw your way to the top.

My 2 pesos lang po. ;)

Allegra
06-29-2005, 19:23
gagaling ng mga sagot ah :)
keep it coming

batangueno
06-29-2005, 19:45
1. For me parang mas maganda standing ko if i shoot fast pero walang miss. If i try to shoot all A's ang layo ko. Different story if you're in production, kailangan yata puro A's doon.

2. Mas maganda if you think you're competing with somebody else. If you think of only yourself parang naglalaro ka lang not that there's anything wrong with that kasi ganun ang ginagawa ko. ;f

jasonub
06-29-2005, 20:45
YODA- Dont think, do... feel the force flowing.

Hangang dont think do lang

Seriously i shoot accurately but never landed on top until recently. My first match was i landed 30+ on a level 2 match maybe 4 years ago. after that i decided to do better by practicing ipsc. run and gun. I never did shoot competitions again till october almost 2 years ago.

When i shot i averaged 15-20th place or around 70+ percent on the first few matches. then one day i decided to run faster. Boiinggg i came in first 5 on most of the matches. So i decided to go even faster. Boingggg number 1 and 2 if i dont hit a penalty or miss. If i miss i usually end up 3-6 even on major matches.

Its basically a balance that one has to find for himself.

But for a newbie i will teach them the fundamentals of hitting A's at any distance. once you know how to call your shot and know absolutely where the bullet went after seeing your sights lift. I will start teaching movement.

Speed seems to follow after accuracy but both should be learned. Now im learning stage breakdown and psywar which i lack and my nemesis is full off;f

sorry for the long post

mikey177
06-29-2005, 21:05
It may depend on the temperament of the shooter. Like me, I started out with preision shooting in college, so kahit anong pilit ko na pabilisin ang sarili ko ngayon, mabagal pa rin ako dahil gusto ko halos perfect ang sight picture bago pumutok :(

ogiebb
06-29-2005, 21:11
Shoot A's speed will come..slow times with good scores will always win against a guy with 5 mike's on a target.....oo nga pala kumusta na mga sir???:)

Allegra
06-29-2005, 22:21
Originally posted by mikey177
It may depend on the temperament of the shooter. Like me, I started out with preision shooting in college, so kahit anong pilit ko na pabilisin ang sarili ko ngayon, mabagal pa rin ako dahil gusto ko halos perfect ang sight picture bago pumutok :(

Top std shppter Lito Pible was also a precision shooter nung college
He started w/ air rifles

9MX
06-29-2005, 22:42
Originally posted by ogiebb
Shoot A's speed will come..slow times with good scores will always win against a guy with 5 mike's on a target.....oo nga pala kumusta na mga sir???:)

ogiebb,

lumitaw ka na ulit!! wazzup:cool:

Allegra
06-30-2005, 00:04
The books all tell us, accuracy muna, and speed will fololow

How come if you look at the shooters who wins
Nung beginner sila, wild at ang bibilis pumutok
they may miss 3-4 shots on one stage pero fafactorin nila yung ibang stages

Look at Jethro, Ariel, Winston, Rico Papa , benjie blah blah blah
Puro sila ratratero when they started

Eye Cutter
06-30-2005, 00:09
exactly! mas mahirap ituro speed specially sa physically challenged!

Pero the other side of the coin is, kung hindi ka maka-keep up sa time, daanin mo sa hits!

look at Rosey, Gilbert Go, Gundog etc! they can hold thier own against the speedsters

Eye Cutter
06-30-2005, 00:19
today i will only shoot A's. I will master what is the perfect sight alignment to get all A's and to produce good consistent groups.

later, i will find out what is an acceptable sight picture with regards to front sight, rear sight, and target alignment to keep my hits within the A zone.

next, i will find out how fast i can pull the trigger to get all hits within the A zone.

mc_oliver
06-30-2005, 00:20
Master A, small pond lang po tayo. Sa big pond, si Jethro lang nananalo probably because steel shooter at unforgiving ang steel pag di ka accurate.

I once read a gun rag discussing some top guys. The subject of the Burner really hit me. To paraphrase: It wasn't until the Burner geared down to get his hits that he started winning the matches... or something to that effect.

Another case in point ngayon is Saul K. and Eric G. Kung panonoorin natin takes ni Saul hanep talaga pumutok. Unbelievable yung mga splits. But hirap siyang talunin si Eric.

I'm gathering some footages ni Eric, Saul, TGO, at iba pa. I'm trying to super-impose their runs on the same stages. Viewing them separately, I can't believe kung paano nananalo si Eric. His run sounds slower pero minsan halos 2 sec ang lamang niya with better hits. Hanep!

Also, yung PPSA nationals dati with Mike Voigt. I swear mas mabilis pa si Winston sa kanya. Pero...

Conclusion? Kelangan ko ng ibang trabaho pambili ng maraming bala...;f

KenC
06-30-2005, 03:18
When I get above 100+ then I will concentrate on speed unless, there are less than 100 competitors.
Actually, I shoot for fun and where I place is not important to me. I do try to improve each time though.
Oh yes, I would do better if those swingers would quit moving around.;a ;a :)

9MX
06-30-2005, 04:34
Originally posted by KenC

Actually, I shoot for fun and where I place is not important to me. I do try to improve each time though.

Now that is how to enjoy shooting!

:cool:

horge
06-30-2005, 05:22
I forgot who wrote the article, but in it, a younger Rob Leatham would hose wildly at nighttime 'IPSC blind shoots'. In his case, speed first, accuracy to follow.

Dunno about that: I dont race :)

jasonub
06-30-2005, 05:26
i used to shoot 50 meters with a rifle and then pistol. So i can say that i came from an accuracy oriented shooting.

When i dont care if i win or lose, i win by.....watching the sights not worrying what my time is. now im always asking what is the best time on open at this stage. If im within a second i know i factored that stage or about 97%.

Now i noticed if i ask that question before the stage, i may crash and burn, so i dont ask till im finished.

Tama si Allegra, when i sped up even missing i still get near the top.(or even win if opposition is not so good) So speed is very important. DVC should be the right thing to tell the student. Balance between accuracy and speed. syempre major ka dapat;f

Now i train on speed more than accuracy but if im going to do it again, ill still go for accuracy since its so fun hitting your target always at any distance.

Eye Cutter
06-30-2005, 05:43
si 9mx kinantiyawan ni gundog, "Mannix, ikaw lang ang martial artist na kakilala ko na napakabagal kumilos!" sabay halakhak! hahahahahah!!!!!

last weekend, we were urging 9mx to speed up on our last long (32rd) stage. siyempre meron trade-off yan sa hits, but do your best, kako... true enough, ganda ng run niya, nasunod gameplan, no re-engage sa steel. although meron 1 mike (sa long shot na half board, ha), the time was within 1 sec of mc_o who was our benchmark, down 1 lang sana siya!

getting the A's is important but taking your time like its a walk in the park will not get you in the winners' circle! naks! puring-puri ba si 9mx! hahahaha!

;f

Allegra
06-30-2005, 06:47
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Master A, small pond lang po tayo. Sa big pond, si Jethro lang nananalo probably because steel shooter at unforgiving ang steel pag di ka accurate.

I once read a gun rag discussing some top guys. The subject of the Burner really hit me. To paraphrase: It wasn't until the Burner geared down to get his hits that he started winning the matches... or something to that effect.

Another case in point ngayon is Saul K. and Eric G. Kung panonoorin natin takes ni Saul hanep talaga pumutok. Unbelievable yung mga splits. But hirap siyang talunin si Eric.

I'm gathering some footages ni Eric, Saul, TGO, at iba pa. I'm trying to super-impose their runs on the same stages. Viewing them separately, I can't believe kung paano nananalo si Eric. His run sounds slower pero minsan halos 2 sec ang lamang niya with better hits. Hanep!

Also, yung PPSA nationals dati with Mike Voigt. I swear mas mabilis pa si Winston sa kanya. Pero...

Conclusion? Kelangan ko ng ibang trabaho pambili ng maraming bala...;f

actually, Mike voight was beating our standard shooters by 3-4 sec sa long courses. . Pantay lang sila nila ariel, lito sa short courses

Hindi rin pala kumpleto yung post ko.
Ariel and co were speedsters when they started. Umpisa pa lang nasa top 10 na sila. Pero,They became champs ONLY when they started to control their shots. For them, nauna ang speed then dumating ang accuracy

Magandang topic toh
ganda yang plan mong mag collect ng footages
Mapagaaralan talaga ng BOGS

ogiebb
06-30-2005, 13:34
Originally posted by 9MX
ogiebb,

lumitaw ka na ulit!! wazzup:cool:

Sir, musta na din ? ;f

when i first had my Open gun i was hosing everything sure i could catch up to the Smokers in times but i would have the Dreaded mike's that screw up my scores..anyway when i asked Travis T and Frank Garcia (i took the Class) about helping me out they told me slow down and get your hits after a few months, i was holding out pretty good and sometimes win a match or spank a GM or M ...oo nga pala C class lang po ako...

ogiebb
06-30-2005, 13:36
ay B na pala...kaka check ko lang i stopped shooting for almost 7 months na e....whew i would never do that again i have an open gun in the making na naman from Millenium Custom sana kasing sweet nung dati...good luck sa mga matches dyan mga sir..:)

bokbok_05
06-30-2005, 17:14
ano ba yan! hindi ako maka-relate!;f . kailangan ko na sumali......

mc_oliver
06-30-2005, 19:20
last weekend, we were urging 9mx to speed up..... the time was within 1 sec of mc_o who was our benchmark, down 1 lang sana siya!;f
Oo nga eh, at kulelat pa hits ko nun. Na inspire tuloy yung mama mag-practice this weekend. Hahahaha ;f

batangueno
06-30-2005, 19:40
si 9mx kinantiyawan ni gundog, "Mannix, ikaw lang ang martial artist na kakilala ko na napakabagal kumilos!" sabay halakhak! hahahahahah!!!!!

last weekend, we were urging 9mx to speed up on our last long (32rd) stage. siyempre meron trade-off yan sa hits, but do your best, kako... true enough, ganda ng run niya, nasunod gameplan, no re-engage sa steel. although meron 1 mike (sa long shot na half board, ha), the time was within 1 sec of mc_o who was our benchmark, down 1 lang sana siya!

getting the A's is important but taking your time like its a walk in the park will not get you in the winners' circle! naks! puring-puri ba si 9mx! hahahaha!

Kailangan pa pala muna asarin si 9MX para galingan. ;f

9MX
06-30-2005, 19:54

;f

EC,

ambait mo naman doc, full board yun;g

it was within 1 sec of mco's run because mco made committed some mistakes;z

in hindsight, i learned a lot from that stage and got some confidence build up as well. ;+

mc_oliver
06-30-2005, 20:03
Originally posted by 9MX
it was within 1 sec of mco's run because mco made committed some mistakes;z
And that my friend is the reason why some people win and most lose. Fewer mistakes from the winners. Kelangan mo lang bilisan yung pag-takbo mo. bwehehehe ;f;f