Airsoft vs Paintball: Which is Better? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Airsoft vs Paintball: Which is Better?

Sky Pirate 7
06-30-2005, 04:32
I know this is kind of subjective, but which do you believe to be "better" and why?

I've played a lot of paintball and I own a Tippmann 98C but recently my brother and a few friends made some good arguments for airsoft... Mainly that it's a lot cheaper, doesn't require cumbersome paint hoppers or huge CO2 tanks, and you don't have jams nearly as much.

Opinions?

IDC
06-30-2005, 18:20
airsoft is more of a Honor game then PB, im sure we all can tell of the wiper who we know as hit and saw it brake but behold...no paint anywhere(after coming out from behind concealment)

airsoft has better range and is more realistic IMO

G26man
07-02-2005, 10:35
Better range? I thought it was the other way around. What kind of velocity and range are you getting with airsoft, and how expensive of a gun does it take to get that performance? Pretty much any paintball gun will push them at the max limit (300 ft/sec).

IDC
07-04-2005, 10:26
yes PB has a upper limit of 300 were as AS 400 is more common,also PB your using a 68,62 or 60 cal. watermelon,not round and flexs in flight. AS you have a round projectile, no flex and the "hop up" effect(like a flatline barrel). I can hit with better accuracy with AS

Short Cut
07-04-2005, 12:01
I think it would depend on what your goals are. For a game with friends, going out to the woods and having battles, I think that paintball would be better. For simulated defensive firearms training like force on force the airsoft would be better. JM2c

Gatman
07-14-2005, 05:01
I used to play a lot of Paintball but the cost was high. I prefer AIRSOFT now and am saving for a gun. I been looking at Classic Army.

TED
07-17-2005, 04:14
I feel that airsoft is far superior due to the extremelt close simulation size and feel wise to a real firearms and the ability to use your actual gun related gear, for example, to practice drawing from your actual carry holster a gun that actually fits in your actual carry holster.

TED

TED
07-17-2005, 04:18
I also view the paintball crowd as being stereotypically younger and more into the game and not necessarily interested in guns whereas airsfot people are usually a little more mature and more interested int the combat aspects and usually are pro-gun.

TED

TED
07-17-2005, 04:19
Perhaps the "real action markers" are where it's at, combining the features of both.

TED

MikeG22
07-18-2005, 22:22
Woods ball paintball is where it's at. Airsoft just seems silly and unless you are gonna go pick up all those tons of little balls all over the place when you are done are gonna be there forever and both just melt away in the rain like a paintball.

TED
07-19-2005, 01:22
Yes, but you can do drills at home in the garage with airsoft.

TED

MOTHERGREEN
07-19-2005, 01:57
I never liked paintball... stupid kidney cannons... silly looking retarded bright colored jerseys..get a life children!! I played airsoft for a while it's great fun but the cost got to high. you can generally get a good aeg (automatic electirc gun) for 300 bucks and they generally shoot about 350 to 400 fps. most of your fields have about a 350 fps limit round 500 for sniper rifles... course people tend to like to bring their 700 fps guns from the philipenes... them suckers hurt! oh yeah mike... no one picks them up thated just be stupid... they make biodegradeable ones you know gosh!! research peoples

G26man
07-19-2005, 04:51
Originally posted by MOTHERGREEN
I never liked paintball... stupid kidney cannons... silly looking retarded bright colored jerseys..get a life children!! Don't know much about woodsball, do you!

MOTHERGREEN
07-19-2005, 17:14
when I picture paintball I see young kids with bright colored shirts mostly cheaters running around with kidney cannons... thats just me... but it seems to me airsoft has older more honorable players the cheaters tend to be the ones that play paintball as well or went from paintball to airsoft... go figure eh?

quinnt
08-09-2005, 22:54
paintball, woods ball to be specific

and airsoft has next to NO inertia and in my experience are not very accurate for much more than 40 feet

where as paintball range is usually around 100 feet, give or take on the barrel

brock sampson
08-15-2005, 20:26
It's a very subjective question. Like making a comparison between Baseball and Hockey. Two totally different games, both happen to use sticks.

I think there's a little more realism in AS games if that's what you're looking for, especially with the move in the PB community away from "war games" and more toward the sport side of things. Even scenario games these days are typically goofy themed, knights of the round table type scenarios. I don't know a whole lot about AS but my understanding is that there is no attempt to cover what is going on. It's simulated battle so dress the part.

8-Ball
08-16-2005, 11:37
Why can't paintball be realistic?

Is this realistic enough?

http://www.addictedtopaintball.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_3/5657426_2194377_full.jpg

or this?

http://www.extremesportsandhobbies.com/mp5sdright1a.jpg

or this?

http://www.battlefieldsports.com/images/m16_bunker.jpg

or this?

http://www.addictedtopaintball.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_5/3156588_2083524_full.JPG

brock sampson
08-16-2005, 22:58
Well not realisim in the toys, but realism in the style of the games played.

Tspeis
08-18-2005, 00:09
Sure you can make paintball realistic, but after you're done spending all that money to get your gun upgraded to look like that, are you really going to want to get it covered in paint? Secondly, airsoft is much more cost efficient. $40 would get you 2.000 paintballs OR you could get around 20,000 bb's with that same money. Velocities vary from 285 fps all the way up to 500 fps on some sniper rifles. I have a Classic Army MP5A5 RIS with internal work from Gamepod Inc and lots of accessories. My gun clocks in around 410 - 420 fps. Also, you can get things such as tracers, double mag clamps, etc. Airsoft guns are magazine fed which means unlike paintball, you don't have to worry about misfeeds in a hopper or paintballs breaking in the gun. magazine capacities vary as well. You can get high cap mags that hold 300-500 rounds or more. Mid caps that hold anywhere from 90- 140 rounds. If you want to be really realistic, you can even get low cap mags that hold the same capacity as their real steel counterpart, for example, M4 and MP5 mags would hold 30 bb's. You can even get drum mags that hold 2,000 rounds. Paintball hoppers hold...200. By the way, my gun is full metal, all the parts on my gun that are metal are metal on the real MP5, as well as all the polymer counterparts. Sooooo...my vote goes to airsoft.

Mwildt
08-21-2005, 22:26
I've never really played airsoft so I can't really comment on it. However, paintball is a rush that is hard to beat. When you hear 20+ rounds a second slamming into the other side of your bunker your adrenalin takes you to an undiscovered level. While I don't really like the high speed tournies that the game has evolved into today, they seem to be about who can throw the most paint in a matter of a few minutes. I much prefer walk on/rec games where the game is a little less intense and tempers are kept slightly cooler. It is kind of hard as a beginer to walk on to a field with a rented gun while everybody else has 2-3 months of salary piled into their set up. I suggest that you give it a try if you haven't. Everybody I ever introduced to the game always said that it was one of the greatest times they've had running around out there. Cost is a factor though, it's not for those with a thin wallet. But, then again neither is collecting nice firearms.

brock sampson
08-22-2005, 19:54
There's a lot more to it than just throwing paint, though I can see how it looks that way from the outside. I really love the intensity of serious tournament ball, nothing else comes close. The higher ROF just means that you have to work harder and be smarter. There's less room for error on the field. I still enjoy playing in the woods every now and then, it's just not the same rush and challenge I've grown used to. It really is two totally different games. I would have to agree that the woods is WAY more friendly, especially to someone new to the game like you said. Either way there is defnitely something addictive about it.

G31Steve
08-22-2005, 21:00
Well i used to play paintball but i quit for most of the reasons peopel mentioned,not realistic none wants to simulate real battle.I have an Airsoft gun i got but i dont know of anywhere around tampa to play.I mosty just shoot my roomies with it lol.

Mwildt
08-22-2005, 22:27
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there is no skill in big tournies. Your back players are there to lay frozen ropes in the lanes and provide your cover and call out positions. The front players are a breed in their own. I prefer to play mid to front, it's hard to do without skilled back players though. I'm out there to compete, however, I like to have fun at it. The tournies didn't provide me with the fun though. If you get shot on the break or the ref makes a bad call in a walk on game it's not that crucial, the next game will start in 15-20 minutes. Overall it's a friendlier environment that has less egos on the field at one time.

brock sampson
08-23-2005, 21:25
I totally agree with you there!

G31Steve: that's funny, I got an AS pistol because they're fun around the house and mostly because my wife got one! Gives a whole new meaning to "home defense".

SkaOG
09-20-2005, 17:47
Airsoft is cheaper and the guns look cooler

G26man
09-20-2005, 18:03
You guys that say paintball isn't realistic need to go play some big simulation games in the woods. The kind that last all weekend or at least a whole day, and involve 100 or more players. Not only are there lots of tactics (platoon and squad level) involved, but the sound of the full auto A5s gives a little pucker factor you wouldn't get in airsoft IMO.

JByer323
09-20-2005, 18:30
I played paintball for two years on an Amatuer B team until college made me too poor to continue.

If you are interested in tournies, paintball is the way to go. If you and your friends want to go out in the woods and have fun, then either will work just fine.