Discouraged with my first build [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Discouraged with my first build

mfackler
06-30-2005, 12:48
I just built my first PC. I did some research first and got mostly quality stuff. I got an Ultra Wizard case and PS from Tiger Direct. (may have been a mistake) I got an Intel D865GBF series mother board. It seems the "front panel header" (Power, HD, and Reset switch) aren't lining up like I expected. I got the system to power up but it shuts right back down. I have tired moving the connections but something still isn't quite right. I know thats not a very good explanation but I'm worried right now that I have already toasted something. I guess I am asking for some reassurance for right now. If my board would not have passed the "smoke test" wouldn't it have literally smoked? (It didn't)

I'm going to keep reading but I'm afraid I may have already toasted my new PC.

Moral support needed.

Mike

David_G17
06-30-2005, 13:14
check the jumper settings on the motherboard with the manual or intel's website.

it's possible that the motherboard or processor were Dead On Arrival, and you may be able to send them back.

I would first place blame on the power supply. do you have another power supply you could try out?

edited to add: if the front panel pins aren't what you expect, check the diagram for the motherboard, sometimes there are 2 or 3 different places to hook up the power switch, reset, etc. to accomodate different cases.

edited again to add: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/bf_bios.htm
it looks like the bios was update recently (3 months ago). perhaps there is a hardware conflict. try removing non-critical parts if you haven't already.

David_G17
06-30-2005, 13:20
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-009016.htm

might be interesting.

David_G17
06-30-2005, 13:23
try all of this stuff, if you haven't already:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010696.htm

mfackler
06-30-2005, 13:34
I haven't had time yet to check everyones links but I will. I sure appreciate it. I did check the diagrams but it wasn't as easy as I thought. I now seem to have everything working but the HDD light is on and stays on?? Attached is a copy of the diagram... Guess I mostly just needed to vent on GT. I will check out the links. Right now new PC is installing XP.... We'll see.

Thanks for the support.

Mike

Edited to add..

My reset switch only has 2 wires. I think thats important.

mfackler
06-30-2005, 15:04
Thanks G-27. One of them links did the trick. I think I got it all sorted out now. Everything seems to be working. Note to self...Don't get so excited. I was afraid I had tosted it already. Thanks again.

Mike

NGWT
07-03-2005, 00:10
I just built my first two P4s. Thought numerous times I blew 'em up.

Those leads coming of the front panel that need to be plugged into the mobo screwed me up. They were already plugged in, but were all very wrong. Took awhile to download off the net the diagram of where they needed to go.