Boot up Order? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Boot up Order?

CalGlock
06-30-2005, 17:39
I got in the BIOS not really knowing what I'm doing.I did this because after I put a slave in to test it out the floppy makes a weird noise like when norton comes on. Right now the order is 1- floppy 2- HD 3-writer 4-CD. I took the slave out. But I'm just wondering if the HD is supposed to be first or the floppy or does it make a difference. Thanks

Washington,D.C.
06-30-2005, 17:56
Hard drive should be last.First can be floppy or CD.If you want to use bootable DVD's make sure that the DVD drive is before the hard drive.I have my CD first then floppy but floppy should be first.As long as the others are before the hard drive it should be fine.

CalGlock
06-30-2005, 19:01
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Hard drive should be last.First can be floppy or CD.If you want to use bootable DVD's make sure that the DVD drive is before the hard drive.I have my CD first then floppy but floppy should be first.As long as the others are before the hard drive it should be fine. Thanks,I feel better now. ;)

Toyman
07-01-2005, 08:39
Put the hard drive first, if you ever need to boot from a CD or Floppy (which is probably rare) you can always go in the BIOS and change it. This will provide the fastest boot time, and prevents wrong boots if you leave a bootable floppy or CD in at powerdown/reset.

NGWT
07-02-2005, 23:55
I do it like Mike does because I'm too lazy to reach over there and pull the FC4 cd out of the drive.

Speaking of CDROMs, Circuit City has a sale going on right now that inlcudes CD-R discs.

50 discs = $6.99. No rebates or any other of that happy horse****.

I had actually picked up the other *special* that was 100 discs for $19.99 and then saw the 50 stacks cheaper.

Washington,D.C.
07-03-2005, 00:06
That's alright for somebody that remembers how to change their boot order when they need to boot from a floppy or CD.A lot of people don't remember how to change it and then can't boot the disk they need.It doesn't take much longer to go through the drives at boot.